Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Capital One Card to get?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Capital One Card to get?

Capital One is awesome. I'm curious what their best/hardest card is to get? I plan to be very loyal to them as my credit score increases.

Cheers FICO members!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Capital One Card to get?

If your question is what is Capital One's top-level card, that would be the Venture.  It offers 2% rewards on everything and has a $59 AF.  The one area where the Venture really stands out is that it's possible to get a very high starting limit.  Numerous people (including me) have reported the Venture as their highest CL.

I agree that Capital One is great.  They really reward usage and your relationships with them, so if you take care of cards you have with them, they will approve much higher limits in 6-12 months.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One is awesome. I'm curious what their best/hardest card is to get? I plan to be very loyal to them as my credit score increases.

Cheers FICO members!

"Best" is highly subjective. What are you looking for in a CC? If travel rewards then it would be the Venture. If cash back then it would be the QuickSilver. They also have co-branded cards. Again, what are you looking for? You should be looking for CC's that fit your spending habits and needs/wants, not the general "best/hardest" to get.

Message 3 of 10
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If Cap1 is your thing, QS is a good card to have.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their two top cards is their Venture and Quicksilver.  I have both, but when I am able to combine them, I will be combinging them into my QS card.  Not because I don't like my Venture, just because I have a few high AF cards and the QS doesn't have an AF.  

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cheers FICO members!

I agree with you on Capital One being awesome.

Their top of the line card is the Venture. It's a beautiful Visa Signature card. It gives you 2 points per dollar for travel; you can use it on anything travel related, and at a reasonable non-luxury price, through Orbitz. If you decide to get cash rewards your 2 points per dollar become 1 point per dollar.

If you're just interested in cash back, the Quicksilver is better because it gives you 1.5 points back in cash.

The Venture usually has the higher starting credit limit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

As others have already mentioned 'best' is subjective, but I can tell you what I'll be looking for later in the year once I have a clean credit file again.

For me (and probably many people) there are three primary considerations - rewards scheme, credit line, and APR.  Some folks would include annual fee, but I'll get to that in a second.

In the fall, I plan to check the pre-qual site weekly for an offer that's better than the Capital One cards I currently have (by that time, it will be only one since I'll be combining in a few months).  Historically, the Venture One has offered me an APR that's 1% lower than either the Venture or Quicksilver, so my plan is to go with it (for the lower rate) and later PC it to a Quicksilver.  I would then roll my current QS into the new card (after six months), leaving me with both a larger credit line and a lower APR than I currently have.

I'm personally not interested in a Capital One card with a 'giant' credit line, but if I did need that I would go with Venture hands-down, since historically you will get the highest credit line with it (relative to the other Capital One offerings).  YMMV, but with me the APR I'm offered for Venture is usually the same as the rate for the QS, so I would app for Venture then PC to Quicksilver before the AF came due; again, this is if I was going for the highest CL.  Even if there was an issue with the PC and I had to pay the AF one time, it would still be worth it due to the $400 (equivalent) sign up bonus that comes with the Venture.

As for annual fee, I'm not too concerned with that on a Capital One card, since it's generally easy to PC their products (with the notable exception of some older legacy accounts and co-branded accounts) and even if a PC isn't available, after six months you can <generally> roll the credit line to another 'no-AF' card and close the one with the AF. (I put <generally> because there are some folks who due to technical constraints are unable to combine accounts and it's unclear what the problem is, or if/when it will be resolved).

I know this is quite a mouthful, but it's a glimpse into my own thought-process on Capital One cards, and hopefully some of it will prove helpful.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I left one thing out - APR and BT promos - but instead of editing my first post I'll just add it here, since it might not apply to the OP anyway.

• The Venture One offers a promo:  for the first 12 months the purchase APR is 0%, with no balance transfer fee (balance transfers are at the non-promo purchase rate).
  • The Quicksilver offers a promo:  for the first nine months the purchase APR is 0% , with a 3% balance transfer fee.  Notably, the 0% promo does apply to balance transfers on the Quicksilver.
  • The Venture offers no APR promotion of any kind, and there's no balance transfer fee.  They do waive the AF the first year.

These are the general promotions currently displayed on the Capital One web site as of today.  Of course if you have a targeted offer the terms of that offer will apply instead.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 10
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

As has been said, it depends on your needs.   For my last Cap One app,  I chose VentureOne for the 12 month 0% promo period and the 20K points for $1K spend, and no AF.  Cap One is fairly broad as to what constitues "travel," so that can be used to advantage to get the best redemption for your points.  

Of course, V1 doesn't accumulate points at the rate of the regular Venture or even QuickSilver.  So really, it boils down to your needs.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Top cards
Venture - usually crazy high SL
Quicksilver Visa - decent rewards and if good credit you can have a very low apr. I had 690 so I was given 17.90 with a $3000 limit aaoa 2.2 hers
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.