Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for European Travel?

tag
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

Best Card for European Travel?

Suggestions? Was looking at Barclay Lufthansa.

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
SeattleSuperBowlChampions
New Contributor

Re: Best Card for European Travel?

Any visa or mastercard with no foreign transaction fee would work.  Ideally it'd be a chip and pin card.  That said, I've been to Europe several times with chip and signature cards and have been fine.  I use my Ritz Carlton.

BarclayCard - Rewards MC - 5,000 | Amex - Skymiles Platinum - 18,000 | Chase - Freedom - 3,000 | Chase - Hyatt - 5,000 | Amazon SC - 3,800 | Fidelity AMEX - 17,000 | Chase - Ritz - 10,000
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your NFCU cards have no FTF (transaction fees) so I think your already set.

Message 3 of 12
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

My bad guys. I was referring to the flight cost to get there/back. rather than expenses over there Smiley Happy 

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SLO805 wrote:

My bad guys. I was referring to the flight cost to get there/back. rather than expenses over there Smiley Happy 

may i suggest FT? =)

admin/mod: delete if frowned upon - referring other forum. sorry.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

British Airways from chase I believe. Or you could app for any nice card and just transfer points to there reward program I think. CSP/Freedom combo in my eyes remain the best. Depends on your spending habbits. I currently got the EDP from Amex and that is working splended and I think you can transfer points to their partners. The Amex PRG is nice as well. If you want a strictly airline card, the first one I mentioned is nice. Depends on where you want. Delta skymiles platnum card is awesome too from Amex. First class all the way. and Sky lounge access

Message 6 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I booked LAX-ATH one way business for 50k AA miles and $10. Problem with AA miles to Europe is you typically get routed through LHR which will result in a high tax charge. Lufthansa miles also carry a high fee. You're best bet is to figure out where in Europe you're trying to go, then go back to the AA, DL, UA websites and search award redemptions. There's no single answer to your question of which is best.
Message 7 of 12
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Make sure you're careful about which airline you choose because some of them will add a fuel surcharge which could be very costly and defeat the purpose of redeeming flights for miles.  British Airways, for instances, has fuel surcharges I believe, unless they've changed recently.  I've heard horror stories of the charges sometimes being as much as $400!

Whereas on the other end of the spectrum, I'm 99% sure United never charges fuel surcharges.

Those are the only two airlines I'm familiar with on flights to Europe unfortunately, but definitely do some research and make sure you won't be walloped by fuel surcharges. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most chip cards given out here in the US are chip & signature. There are very few chip+ pin card options with no FTF. I think CSP makes the cut.
Message 9 of 12
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

If it helps. I have trips planned/need to be planned ASAP to Athens, Greece, Croatia, Rome Italy and Barcelona so far this year.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.