Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for Non-Travel?

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Card for Non-Travel?

Thanks again for the replies! All greatly appreciated.

@CreditDunce

I will not be applying until all of my cards are under 29% UTI and I will probably even wait until I get a pre-approval offer.

So far, no sites have a pre-approval, including Cap1 to upgrade. Nor my Chase login page or Credit Journey.

It's good since I'm not ready for another card and I think Cap1 and Chase have me locked in at the lower tier. I have no desire to get all 3 CB's pulled for Cap1 as I'm not fond of them.

If I got an AMEX BCE and Discover IT, I think I'd be set.

Heck, my scores just went from the 630's to upper 670's after a final baddie dropped off and I can't even get an increase on my Synchrony Amazon Prime Store Card.

Again, I understand the UTI thing, but I'm at 38% on EX, which I know is still pretty high.

Can't wait until I get a settlement later this year when I can bring everything down under 29%. It will feel so good!
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Total80sKid wrote:
@Anonymous

I am also very low income, so my spend might be $400-$600 a month, which includes bills and food.

Still working on paying off other accounts, but want to be prepared with a goal card or two that I can actually regularly use and pay off.

From what I've read here, AMEX BCE would be my next goal card and after having that a few months, maybe go for the Discover IT and call it a day.

I'd like to get rid of my two Cap1 cards which are stuck at lower than $1k limits and are not growing with me. Same as Chase. I bank there, have direct deposit and they won't budge on my $500 SL Freedom card I got 2yrs ago.

I'm thinking about moving to a CU.

I do like the BCE and thus have the BCP because I can cap out the grocery spend per year with misc gift cards like petsmart, restaurants, and toys r us. This is my main card and I love it. I don't have travel cards anymore...I prefer straight cash back that goes right to my favorite thing...Disney. We use the wife's Disney card for restaurants, Disney purchases, and misc stuff. Nice perk right now is that it has 4% back on utilities through the end of August. This will be nice as we are going in September.

You can use the BCP for gift cards that can be used at restaurants and toy stores (6%)? Or did I misread? Thanks.

Yes..if I am in the grocery store and have to head to get cat food and/or litter, I will get a gift card to Petsmart so that I get the 6% back.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

some decent cards with no AF I can think of:

Amex BCE

BofA Cash Rewards

Cap1 Quicksilver

Citi Double Cash

Discover it

Chase Freedom/Unlimited

All solid prime cards imo for everyday use. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.