Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for gas + groceries year round

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

Best Card for gas + groceries year round

As soon as two of my inquiries reach a year of age, I plan to app for one more card but I'm trying to decide which card gives the best bonuses in these two categories year round. I don't care about what the card offers elsewhere just these two. I don't spend all that much on gas and groceries a month (maybe $250 - $300). Which card would you guys and gals suggest?

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Card for gas + groceries year round

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

As soon as two of my inquiries reach a year of age, I plan to app for one more card but I'm trying to decide which card gives the best bonuses in these two categories year round. I don't care about what the card offers elsewhere just these two. I don't spend all that much on gas and groceries a month (maybe $250 - $300). Which card would you guys and gals suggest?

Sallie Mae Mastercard.  5% on gas and groceries up to $250 (each) per month with no annual fee.  Hands down the best card for your purpose.

Message 2 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

If that is 250-300 total for both gas and groceries, obvious answer is Sallie Mae.  5% on each, up to $250 a month, 5% on bookstores, including Amazon, for up to $750.

At higher levels of spend, the Blue Cash makes sense, 5% on each uncapped once $6,500 is spent (on anything) on the card each year.  But for your level, Sallie Mae!

Message 3 of 27
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

If that is 250-300 total for both gas and groceries, obvious answer is Sallie Mae.  5% on each, up to $250 a month, 5% on bookstores, including Amazon, for up to $750.

At higher levels of spend, the Blue Cash makes sense, 5% on each uncapped once $6,500 is spent (on anything) on the card each year.  But for your level, Sallie Mae!

The Amex Blue Cash preferred or the newer Amex blue cash are probably  better options for most consumers.  I recommend that as the best option.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 4 of 27
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@manwoot wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

Sallie Mae Mastercard.  5% on gas and groceries up to $250 (each) per month with no annual fee.  Hands down the best card for your purpose.

Thanks! Not familiar with Sallie Mae cards. How are they with CLs?

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 5 of 27
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SomeGuyOnTheWeb wrote:

The Amex Blue Cash preferred or the newer Amex blue cash are probably  better options for most consumers.  I recommend that as the best option.

Sallie Mae beats BCP for this level of spend.  Blue Cash is only viable if you spend a LOT in these categories.

Sallie Mae is a Barclay Card.  They are generous with Auto CLIs from what I hear (my card is still too new) and like to see usage.

Message 6 of 27
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

You haven't seen my chart?

Its possble to get multiple Sallie Mae Mastercards if you Use the card(s) well, wait at least 3-4 months between Barclay applications, and don't apply for alot of other cards until after you get whatyou need from Barclays.

propel 365.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 27
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

What is the difference in the green/blue? Not sure I understand it too much other than the numbers.
Message 8 of 27
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

First and second place

Message 9 of 27
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

You haven't seen my chart?

Its possble to get multiple Sallie Mae Mastercards if you Use the card(s) well, wait at least 3-4 months between Barclay applications, and don't apply for alot of other cards until after you get whatyou need from Barclays.

propel 365.png

Thanks! I should save this for future reference Smiley Happy

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.