Established Contributor
happy0510

Best Card for my situation?

Hi Guys,

I have done all I can do as far as repair.  I got an Orchard secured in 8/07 and have seen my scores go up dramatically.  Problem is I have no other credit cards let alone open credit period.  I need to get on the ball with this!! I want to get through the aging now!

All I have on my report is:

1 Collection $30 2006

1 Orchard CL $300 8/2007

1 Charge Off 2004 Repo

1 Judgment for the Repo 2005

1 paid off installment loand for $600 1999

I got turned down after apping in March/April 08 from Hooters, Target, and Mervyn's.  My Orchard was still a baby so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.  I am planning on purchasing a home this year and don't want to have too many IQ.  I am just soooooooo curious!  It's been almost a year since I last applied!

Any suggestions?

Happy:smileyhappy:

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor
Creditaddict

Re: Best Card for my situation?

BofA secured

Target

Macy's

Fico Scores: EQ- 682 DCU, TU 696 Walmart, EX 686 Prosper(10-30-14)
You will have to put up Electric Fence to keep me in the garden!
Highest Limit: Navy Federal Cash Sigi Visa $50k (AU)
Lowest Limit: Target $200
63 Cards and Counting :smileytongue:
Frequent Contributor
shalane85

My advice to you is that if you want to buy a house this year dont open any new accounts until you close on that house. Today underwriters (FHA loans) dont care about you having a mix of revolving, installments, etc.. type of credit. They dont want to see any new debt or new credit obligations. So my advice and I strongly urge you to hold off until you finish the house business. BTW what are your credit scores? When you close I would suggest BOA secured, or Capitol One. They are pretty easy to qualify for when you are rebuilding credit.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: 628
Goal Score: 680

Starting Score: EQ FICO 470 TU FICO 482 7/15/2011
Current Score: EX ?? /EQ FICO 628 / TU ??
Goal Score: 680 across the board!

Navy Federal nRewards $500 cl
Capitol One Platinum (AU) $7500 cl
USAA Amex $250
Kay Jewelers $900
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

Temporarily disregarding the mortgage issue, I'd say join a local credit union and get a card from them.

Most pull EQ. You can print out a new EQ FICO report and visit them. Be sure to tell them that this is a Beacon 5.0 score.

They won't tell you anything official from this --they'd have to do a hard inquiry --but they might be willing to tell you what you would qualify for.

But if you're going for a mortgage soon, probably better to hold off.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Established Contributor
happy0510

My scores are Ficos 2/2009 TU 657 EX 660 EQ 615 (Hi Util) .  According to the simulator when I pay down the Orchard I will be near or over 700.  Stupid me, they report at the end of the month.  Ok.  I see. I will take your advice and not app until after the mortgage.  I am told I can use non traditional forms of credit when I apply.  I'll apply a few months after I get the mortgage (assuming I get it).  Otherwise, if I am declined for mortgage for any reason i'm going on an appy spree!!

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 691
Goal Score: 750

Established Member
hotsaka

i would def suggest bofa secured. In fact if you dont mind two inquiries just apply for the platinum plus and its possible they will offer you the partially secured card($99 deposit and $500 limit) in 9 months it unsecures and limit will likely get increased.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}