Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card to Use

tag
PinkPanther3719
Contributor

Best Card to Use

So my family reunion is coming up in July. I have to take a plane to Orlando, FL and may need to take the Greyhound to a major airport. So I need to know which one would be best for rewards or otherwise.

My available cards are:

Cap1 Jouney @ 19.8%

Citi Diamond Preferred @ 19.99%

Cap1 QuickSilver One @ 22.9%

Discover IT @ 0% intro

Citi Double Cash @ 0% intro

Barclays Rewards MC @ 24.99%

USAA Platinum MC @ 9.9%

NFCU nRewards @ 13.99%

I know there's a few. I just got some as I want to get rid of a couple cards with $500 limits and refusal for CLI. Most of my cards are at least $1000 and they refuse to even match the $1000 though I've had them for at least 2 years, always pay on time, carried a balance for a bit and paid it all off in a couple months.

Current Information (05/2016)
Scores: EX: 633, EQ: 619, and TU: 727
Current Utilization: ?%

Goal: All above 750 and no more than 3% utilization
Gardening until 12/31/16 (Hopefully)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Card to Use

@PinkPanther3719 wrote:

So my family reunion is coming up in July. I have to take a plane to Orlando, FL and may need to take the Greyhound to a major airport. So I need to know which one would be best for rewards or otherwise.

My available cards are:

@Cap1 Jouney @ 19.8%

@Anonymous Diamond Preferred @ 19.99%

@Cap1 QuickSilver One @ 22.9%

@discover IT @ 0% intro

@Anonymous Double Cash @ 0% intro

@Barclays Rewards MC @ 24.99%

@usaa Platinum MC @ 9.9%

@Anonymous nRewards @ 13.99%

I know there's a few. I just got some as I want to get rid of a couple cards with $500 limits and refusal for CLI. Most of my cards are at least $1000 and they refuse to even match the $1000 though I've had them for at least 2 years, always pay on time, carried a balance for a bit and paid it all off in a couple months.

Do you pay in full every month, or is the 0% intro rate more valuable than the rewards? If the 0% is more valuable, how long do you expect to take to pay off the trip and how long do you have on each of the remaining intro periods. 

Message 2 of 6
PinkPanther3719
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@PinkPanther3719 wrote:

My available cards are:

@Cap1 Jouney @ 19.8%

@discover IT @ 0% intro

@usaa Platinum MC @ 9.9%

Do you pay in full every month, or is the 0% intro rate more valuable than the rewards? If the 0% is more valuable, how long do you expect to take to pay off the trip and how long do you have on each of the remaining intro periods. 

I plan on paying in full. I have the money in savings, but I want the rewards. I just got the cards with the intro rates. They both expire next year.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PinkPanther3719 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@PinkPanther3719 wrote:

My available cards are:

@Cap1 Jouney @ 19.8%

@discover IT @ 0% intro

@usaa Platinum MC @ 9.9%

I plan on paying in full. I have the money in savings, but I want the rewards. I just got the cards with the intro rates. They both expire next year.

Journey gives you 1.25%

Diamond Preferred gives you nothing, as far as I can tell

QS1 gives 1.5%

IT gives 1%

DC gives 2%

Barclays Rewards gives 1 point per $. We'd need to know how much a point is worth, but unless it is more than 2x, you probably want to pass

USAA: No benefit

NFCU: 1 point/$, you need to evaluate worth

As a general rule, you should know what the rewards of each of your cards are. This took some time to look up, but nothing that you couldn't have done with Google. 

Here, I would go for the DoubleCash, with the QS1 as your backup.

Message 4 of 6
PinkPanther3719
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Journey gives you 1.25%

Diamond Preferred gives you nothing, as far as I can tell

QS1 gives 1.5%

IT gives 1%

DC gives 2%

Barclays Rewards gives 1 point per $. We'd need to know how much a point is worth, but unless it is more than 2x, you probably want to pass

USAA: No benefit

NFCU: 1 point/$, you need to evaluate worth

As a general rule, you should know what the rewards of each of your cards are. This took some time to look up, but nothing that you couldn't have done with Google. 

Here, I would go for the DoubleCash, with the QS1 as your backup.

USAA gives me points 1pt/$1.The points are redeemable 3000pts=$25. I currently have 2530pts. They also have them redeemable for other things.

Diamond Preferred also does points. Their points are 1pt/$10. Theirs are for Citi Easy Deals.

Barclays Reward are 100pts/$1 starting at 2500pts to convert into cash though they have merchandise and they have certain retailers that gives you more then 1pt/$1 if you go through their website.

NFCU allows redeeming for cash at 100pts/$1 starting at $50. Also allow other redeeming opportunities.

The flight would be about $700. The greyhound trip would be about $30. The Villa would be about $450. Willing to use different cards for each part to maximize rewards.

I have my rewards written down. I just wanted to get a better opinion than mine.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like you're valuing your points at no more than 1c redeemble per $1 spent. Based on that, I would start with the DC, then go to the QS1, then the Journey, then one of the various 1% cards, depending on how much credit you need. As long as you're paying in full, I wouldn't fret about going even as high as 80% of utility. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.