Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cards for Starting Over???

tag
DrDG
Established Member

Best Cards for Starting Over???

I am going to buy a home within the next 18 months. In the meantime, I am looking to get my scores as high as humanly possible. I've been diligently working on my credit. Paying things off and such. I know that until I have some positive revolving credit and some time on my credit, I'm not going to get very far. Any suggestions would be grately appreciated. Thank you!!! 

Rebuilding with goals of reaching 750.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Cards for Starting Over???

@DrDG wrote:

I am going to buy a home within the next 18 months. In the meantime, I am looking to get my scores as high as humanly possible. I've been diligently working on my credit. Paying things off and such. I know that until I have some positive revolving credit and some time on my credit, I'm not going to get very far. Any suggestions would be grately appreciated. Thank you!!! 

Cap1 or Barclay might give you a shot.

Message 2 of 14
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

@DrDG wrote:

In addition to your Wells Fargo Secured, have you tried the Pre-Qual site for Capital One? They helped me during my rebuild and may be useful. Also may want to open one or two store cards, but not too many. 

EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 3 of 14
DrDG
Established Member

Been looking into Barclaycard Reward, a little afraid of Capital 1. I have never seen such horrible reviews as theirs. I googled Cap 1 CC reviews. I believe they were on Credit Karma. Horrible reviews of taking people through the ringer. 

Message 4 of 14
DrDG
Established Member

Been looking into Barclaycard Reward, a little afraid of Capital 1. I have never seen such horrible reviews as theirs. I googled Cap 1 CC reviews. I believe they were on Credit Karma. Horrible reviews of taking people through the ringer. Can you tell me if the pre-qual site does a hard or soft pull?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrDG wrote:

Been looking into Barclaycard Reward, a little afraid of Capital 1. I have never seen such horrible reviews as theirs. I googled Cap 1 CC reviews. I believe they were on Credit Karma. Horrible reviews of taking people through the ringer. Can you tell me if the pre-qual site does a hard or soft pull?

Soft.

Message 6 of 14
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DrDG wrote:

Soft.

Yes, their customer service is one of the worst, but they do accept people other companies reject, and it has been a stepping stone for many, myself included. They have a great credit-step program, which you should be able to qualify for (I am assuming you have no baddies). I got my first home mortgage on the strength of my good payment history with CO, which brought me to 740 in less than one year.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 7 of 14
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Take what you read with a grain of salt, Cap1 is a decent  lender for everyone but takes time for them to grow

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are in an area served by Liberty Bank and Trust they are worth a look.  Have to upload a copy of your driver's license and your pay stubs, but they are very forgiving on credit by philosophy.  Gave me a $10k line with 9.9% interest.  Looking at the who gave me credit website they will extend credit even if you have a recent bankruptcy discharge or whatever.  It is a minority owned bank that is very successful  

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

Take what you read with a grain of salt, Cap1 is a decent  lender for everyone but takes time for them to grow

If by time you mean an eternity, Then i agree.

Get a Cap1, let it age. Close it, Reapply for better Limit/Terms once your credit profile improves significantly.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.