Valued Contributor

Re: Best Cash Back Reward Cards for Groceries and Gas

@mongstradamus wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

Based on my own research following two cards offer most cash back rewards:

1. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ....$75 AF (6% on groceries upto $6,000 annual cap - Superstores like Walmart, Target, etc. excluded?; 3% on Gas) 
2. Sallie Mae World Master Card....$0 AF (5% cash back on the first $250 you spend per month on eligible gas and grocery purchases each - stores like Walmart, Target, Samsclub are eligible?) 

So if you have both of these cards, technically you can get upto $750 in groceries that is eligible to earn 5%-6% rewards and upto $250 in gas that is eligible for 5% and remaining amount of Gas purchase that would qualify for 3% cash back. 

Anyone suggest other options (in terms of credit cards) to receive higher rewards? Any comment from both of these card holders? Pros and cons? 

Thank you in advance. 

You could use BCP and SM like this:

For groceries:

BCP - regular grocery stores and Walmart Neighborhood Market

SM - Target/Walmart (which Amex does not consider grocery stores")

For gas:

SM - first $250

BCP - use it once you've hit SM's monthly cap

Why not just get two SM cards so you don't have to pay an AF. I know it would be 2 hps as opposed to one. I guess it really depends on if you go over 500 an month for groceries and gas. 

Are you suggesting two SM World Master Cards (identical) for the same person (like me)? Or variation of SM World Master Card? 

doesn't have to be wmc , it could be platinum , but yes two seperate cards 

Thank you. Obviously very clever idea as well.....Smiley Happy

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 31 of 64
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Am I the only one who is really into TheManWhoCan's charts?? Those are some nice charts! Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Am I the only one who is really into TheManWhoCan's charts?? Those are some nice charts! Smiley Very Happy

I think (nearly) everyone likes them!

Message 33 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@s_haliz wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@thelethargicage wrote:

@s_haliz wrote:

Based on my own research following two cards offer most cash back rewards:

1. AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ....$75 AF (6% on groceries upto $6,000 annual cap - Superstores like Walmart, Target, etc. excluded?; 3% on Gas) 
2. Sallie Mae World Master Card....$0 AF (5% cash back on the first $250 you spend per month on eligible gas and grocery purchases each - stores like Walmart, Target, Samsclub are eligible?) 

So if you have both of these cards, technically you can get upto $750 in groceries that is eligible to earn 5%-6% rewards and upto $250 in gas that is eligible for 5% and remaining amount of Gas purchase that would qualify for 3% cash back. 

Anyone suggest other options (in terms of credit cards) to receive higher rewards? Any comment from both of these card holders? Pros and cons? 

Thank you in advance. 

You could use BCP and SM like this:

For groceries:

BCP - regular grocery stores and Walmart Neighborhood Market

SM - Target/Walmart (which Amex does not consider grocery stores")

For gas:

SM - first $250

BCP - use it once you've hit SM's monthly cap

Why not just get two SM cards so you don't have to pay an AF. I know it would be 2 hps as opposed to one. I guess it really depends on if you go over 500 an month for groceries and gas. 

Are you suggesting two SM World Master Cards (identical) for the same person (like me)? Or variation of SM World Master Card? 

doesn't have to be wmc , it could be platinum , but yes two seperate cards 

Thank you. Obviously very clever idea as well.....Smiley Happy

This has been discussed quite a bit!  TheManWhoCan, for example has two Sallie Mae (and two Cash +) cards in his sig, one of his tables has a column headed 2 Sallie Mae.   Not all issuers will allow you identical cards, some will let you app for two, in other cases you can get there through a product change.

Message 34 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barbaralee wrote:

They are great and easy to read!

Message 35 of 64
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Need for add the new Sams Club MC to the mix. No annual fee 5% on fuel $6000 annual cap ($500 per month). But not great for grocery shopping ironically being a grocery type store..

Haven't been to a Sams gas station but it may also offer 5 cents off per gallon like Walmart bringing it to 6.5% off per gallon (my area prices) .
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 36 of 64
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:
Need for add the new Sams Club MC to the mix. No annual fee 5% on fuel $6000 annual cap ($500 per month). But not great for grocery shopping ironically being a grocery type store..

Haven't been to a Sams gas station but it may also offer 5 cents off per gallon like Walmart bringing it to 6.5% off per gallon (my area prices) .

The only caveat i would have is if you have an Sams near you , for me personally i think closest one for me is more than 30 min away, not that convenient. The sams clubs that are near me don't have an gas station.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 37 of 64
Kayann
Established Member

I use Penfed Platinum Rewards Signature. It offers 5 points on gas, 3 points on groceries and 1 point everything else. It has a cash version as well. I also have a Blue Cash and Everyday Amex for groceries.

Message 38 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@TheGardner wrote:

The only caveat i would have is if you have an Sams near you , for me personally i think closest one for me is more than 30 min away, not that convenient. The sams clubs that are near me don't have an gas station.

It works at all gas stations (other than rival wholesale clubs) though doesn't it?

Message 39 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Kayann wrote:

I use Penfed Platinum Rewards Signature. It offers 5 points on gas, 3 points on groceries and 1 point everything else. It has a cash version as well. I also have a Blue Cash and Everyday Amex for groceries.

Penfed points are worth less than 1c, so it's like a 4.5% card on gas.  The cash rewards one is a real 5%

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.