Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Cash Rewards Card for me

tag
exl
Established Member

Re: Best Cash Rewards Card for me

I plan on eventually opening CKG/SVG/CC accounts with a CU. I just haven't figured out which one to go for.

Wallet: Chase Freedom / Citi Dividend Platinum Select / Discover Open Road
Sock Drawer: PayPal Smart Connect (GE MoneyBank)

Starting Score: EX-PLUS: 655 / EQ-FICO: 670 / TU-FICO: 647 [February 25, 2013]
Current Score: EX-PLUS: 676 / EQ-FICO: 725 / TU-FICO: 733
Goal Score: 800 across the board by December 1, 2013
Message 11 of 16
DJH87
Established Member

You can freeze ex and tu and Chase will pull equifax. I read that Chase will pull the available report. Also, if you get denied definitely recon. But your projected new score should be good for the Freedom. Good luck and let us know the outcome.
Message 12 of 16
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Chase pulled TU for me for the Freedom.  You may want to wait a little longer?  What do you normally spend on - groceries, gas, travel, miscellaneous items?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

Chase pulled TU for me for the Freedom.  You may want to wait a little longer?  What do you normally spend on - groceries, gas, travel, miscellaneous items?

When it comes to TU, I don't know if waiting longer will help much.  My last two collections on there are currently ignoring me completely when I send them mail, so I am anticipating them staying on there through 2014 and 2016.  As for my spend, my bank breaks my spend down into categories for me:

• Groceries, maybe about $100/month.  It is actually  more, but the rest is at Costco, who doesn't take CC except AmEx, so that would be on my debit card
  • Dining, entertainment, and travel was $900 last month
  • Miscellaneous shopping was $650
  • Gas was $210
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
As for my spend, my bank breaks my spend down into categories for me:

• Groceries, maybe about $100/month.  It is actually  more, but the rest is at Costco, who doesn't take CC except AmEx, so that would be on my debit card
  • Gas was $210

Citi Forward is supposed to be one of the best rewards card for the dining, movies, entertainment type spending.  Maybe give them some consideration.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
As for my spend, my bank breaks my spend down into categories for me:

• Gas was $210

Citi Forward is supposed to be one of the best rewards card for the dining, movies, entertainment type spending.  Maybe give them some consideration.

Citi Forward does look pretty nice as well, although it doesn't seem to be cash back, unless you want them to pay a mortgage or student loans on your behalf.  I would consider having them pay my student loans, but those are currently still in deferrment (I am in school).  Does anyone know what kind of qualifications Citi has for this card and which bureau they generally pull?

Edit: I did read that Citi Forward offers redemption for "Statement Credits."  That sounds a lot like cash back if I am understanding it correctly?  I do like that it includes rental insurance and extended warranties.  I don't think Chase Freedom offers either.

Edit 2: So reviewing their rewards site, it seems pretty nice.  Chase Freedom is 1% cash back on most purchases.  With Citi Forward, you can get $50 for 8000 points, which works out to about 0.6% cash back.  However, statement credits are $25 for 1000 points, which is 2.5%, pretty nice.  That seems a little high, especially since $25 student loan payments cost 2500 points.  Am I understanding this correctly?

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.