Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Consolidation Strategy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Consolidation Strategy

So I'm trying to slim my wallet down and vote off some of my SD cards off the island per say, 

I successfully transferred my full CL from my old Sapphire to my AARP Visa Sig. and closed it. 

I plan to do the same with my Chase Amazon, I just have to wait 30 days with it being inactive. 

Now I have two other cards that I need to close, BOA Travel Rewards & Citi TYP: 

I recently opened a BOA BBR and wanted to know if BOA will permit a Consolidation of credit from my Travel Rewards to my BBR without a HP. 

Same w/ my Citi TYP, I wanted to know if Citi will permit the same from TYP to DC? 

Any tips are appreciated!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Best Consolidation Strategy

Dunno about BoA, but I believe Citi will allow credit line reallocation with an HP.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Citi is usually a HP for reallocation (basically, you're doing a HP CLI on the card you want to keep).

BOA is usually a HP as well.

I'd limit the amount of HPs I took for reallocations unless you really want to preserve limits. Not that it's a bad thing; I just wouldn't want to take excessive HPs for it, especially if the resulting limits will not be used much (how much are you really going to spend on the BBR)?

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as mentioned by Omar and KDM, the majority of CL reallocations (i.e. consolidations) will be HP for both BOA and Citi.  In rare instances would they do them via SP.  I've done this in the past and it's been (YEMV) with both outcomes.  Wondering on the high CL on BBR given you only net the same reward redemption every quarter (even with a BOA relationship bonus)

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

i was told by the CA i talked to 3 days ago that reallocation is SP only. but like what others have mentioned here, it's YMMV. if you really want to reallocate, make sure the CA confirms that it's SP as you don't want to incur an HP just for a reallocation. sometimes you get competent BoA CA every now and then. they mean and do what they say! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did a reallocation of CL with BoA within the last 6 months and it was a SP. Best of luck!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:
I did a reallocation of CL with BoA within the last 6 months and it was a SP. Best of luck!

Thanks, do you know what numer you called? Also I see you have all 3 of their cards, which is your favorite & why? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

Thanks, do you know what numer you called? Also I see you have all 3 of their cards, which is your favorite & why? 

I apologize for the late response. I think I called the regular CS line and was transferred to an analyst. Sorry, I can't remember. I don't have 3 different BoA credit cards. I like my CR and BBR equally. In general, I like BoA.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.