Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Cards for military service members

tag
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

Best Credit Cards for military service members

Many of my co-workers, NCOs and Officers, are constantly asking me: which one is the best credit card they can apply for? The answer/s is usually the same:

If you do not have credit, I usually say, apply first for a Military Star card and after a good six months apply for a USAA card or a CapitalOne, or perhaps a credit Union credit card, Service Credit Union. For those whose credit is established I recommend the Chase MasterCard Military Star card since it has excellent rewards. Also, they can apply for a USAA Amex or MasterCard World. Obviously, I also tell them to apply for other ccs, yet I will like to create a list, which I have not been able to find in this forum, that list some banks, service unions, etc. that are friendly towards military personnel.

So, what else would you recommend beside USAA, Service Credit Union, PenFed, Bank of America, Navy Credit Union. Any other ideas?

!!!! I'm on gardening mode !!!!

EQ FICO 779; TU FICO 783; EX FAKO 821
In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Cards for military service members

@HoahCredit wrote:

USAA Bank, Service Credit Union, PenFed Credit Union, and Navy Federal Credit Union.

Those that you referenced above compile the list that I would recommend.

Message 2 of 6
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

There's got to be more than just this.

In my wallet: USAA AMEX, USAA World MasterCard,Service Credit Union Platinum Visa, Chase MasterCard, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More Card, American Express Gold, American Express Platinum, Chase Continental One Pass

Message 3 of 6
Datx
Valued Contributor

@HoahCredit wrote:

There's got to be more than just this.

There is, but the ones listed so far are the ones known to be more lenient in or generous in lending when it comes to military members. Another one to look at would be Security Service FCU. Kirtland FCU is another but I think they serve local military members, im not too sure.

Message 4 of 6
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Noah, the answers you have received are the best answer to "Who is best for military?". NFCU and USAA (for full membership) both have membership requirements that not everyone can meet. PenFed and the others are more open but are more lenient to service members needs. And as you pointed out the MilitaryStar options.

Other than those credit recommendations would be based on a persons credit profile and desire of what they want out of the card, the consideration of being in the military would be a non=factor other than for income purposes. (Probably not going to be invited for AMEX Centurion).

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
HoahCredit
Regular Contributor

I think you guys are right. Hope this can help.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.