Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Unions out there

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Best Credit Unions out there

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to join a couple of credit unions & currently researching the best in terms of generosity in offering high initial CLs, generosity in CLIs, little/no documents hectic etc. I'm not qualified for NFCU so apart from that, here's a quick list I gathered from this forum:

PSECU

NASA

USAA

Penfed

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Mellon
Established Contributor

Re: Best Credit Unions out there

USAA is not a credit union

Message 2 of 37
KausticRage
New Contributor

DCU, they approved my for my first $5k limit CC.  Highest limit before that was my Walmart at $1600.

April 2013 FICO Scores
Experian - 709 Chase Freedom Pull
Equifax - 788 BofA MLB Rewards Pull
Trans Union - 778 (GE Money Bank CLI scores)

In the Garden until at least 2014 to let the new accounts age and HP's fall off. 800 club here I come...
Message 3 of 37
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to join a couple of credit unions & currently researching the best in terms of generosity in offering high initial CLs, generosity in CLIs, little/no documents hectic etc. I'm not qualified for NFCU so apart from that, here's a quick list I gathered from this forum:

PSECU

NASA

USAA

Penfed

PSECU is closed to out of staters unless you have a family member who is a member.  

USAA, as mentioned before is not a CU.  

I'm a member at DCU and they offer generous starting limits.  I was initially approved for $500 at Alliant, but that was increased to $15K after 6 months.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 37
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

USAA is not a CU, but that just means that anyone can join. They are, however, very generous when it comes to approval rates and CLs.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 5 of 37
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@cowboyguy wrote:

Hi everyone,

PSECU

NASA

USAA

Penfed

PenFed also have very strict underwriting requirements for many of their cards, so that might not match what you are looking for.

Message 6 of 37
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@KausticRage wrote:

DCU, they approved my for my first $5k limit CC.  Highest limit before that was my Walmart at $1600.

+1

DCU gave me $7500 right out of the gate so I am definitely a fan of them Smiley Very Happy

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 37
madmann26
Valued Contributor

NFCU, if you can get in.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 8 of 37
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@madmann26 wrote:
NFCU, if you can get in.

The OP said, in his OP:

I'm not qualified for NFCU so apart from that

Message 9 of 37
p-
Valued Contributor

Definitley Penfed.  And if you are qualified, USAA, even though it's not a CU, per se.  It also would be smart to forge a relationship with a small, local CU.  Sometimes there's no substitute for walking in and meeting with the person handling your decisions.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.