tag
KausticRage
New Contributor

Re: Best Credit Unions out there

They pulled EQ.

April 2013 FICO Scores
Experian - 709 Chase Freedom Pull
Equifax - 788 BofA MLB Rewards Pull
Trans Union - 778 (GE Money Bank CLI scores)

In the Garden until at least 2014 to let the new accounts age and HP's fall off. 800 club here I come...
Message 21 of 37
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

USAA is a military based bank right? Can I join if my uncle was in the army? My grandfather was also in the army. I notice they have really looow rates!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 22 of 37
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Anyone can join USAA as a limited member which means you can not get their insurance products or their BEST credit card rates and offers. The only way to qualify for full membership is to be a veteran yourself or have your qualified family member who is a veteran join first. I believe the primary member has to purchase their insurance products to qualify you for their full membership. But I know in my case anyway their insurance rates are the best out there and I have my full scope of insurance with them (Home / Auto / Umbrella). Their CSR's are very helpful and knowledgeable and I would rank them overall second only to NFCU as far as quality of offerings.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 23 of 37
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

^Thanks for the info Smiley Happy I'll look closer into it.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 24 of 37
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

They are strict, but also can be generous.  They gave me a sizable limit increase without me requesting.  I have two cards with them and I'm very happy.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 25 of 37
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I agree with this post.  Being able to walk in and build a relationship with a bank can help you get opportunities to prove your creditworthiness much faster.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 26 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

USAA is not a CU, but that just means that anyone can join. They are, however, very generous when it comes to approval rates and CLs.

USAA has 2 levels of m'ship, depending on your military and family affiliation. Full members have better CCs to choose from as well as other benefits not avail to ltd members. Also, while they do have generous CLs, they have pretty strict underwriting requirements and aren't so easy to get approval as some CUs.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 27 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

USAA is a military based bank right? Can I join if my uncle was in the army? My grandfather was also in the army. I notice they have really looow rates!

Unfortunately just having a family member who was in the military isn't enough. They have to be a current or past member of USAA. I believe your uncle or g'father could join USAA as former military and then you could join as a family member.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 28 of 37
distantarray
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Unfortunately just having a family member who was in the military isn't enough. They have to be a current or past member of USAA. I believe your uncle or g'father could join USAA as former military and then you could join as a family member.

it can be if your grandfather or grandmother died in WW1 or WW2 Smiley Tongue

there's always ways to get in. I got into NFCU because my biological dad was in the Army and has accounts with them. Sad thing is my parents divorced when I was 2 so I don't even know he looks like, or know his birthsday lol, I got in because I was willing to provide a birth certificate that was provided from a military hospital. =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 29 of 37
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

it can be if your grandfather or grandmother died in WW1 or WW2 Smiley Tongue

there's always ways to get in. I got into NFCU because my biological dad was in the Army and has accounts with them. Sad thing is my parents divorced when I was 2 so I don't even know he looks like, or know his birthsday lol, I got in because I was willing to provide a birth certificate that was provided from a military hospital. =)

Maiden Girl was talking about USAA, which has different requirements than NFCU. My grandfather was in the Marines, but I could only get ltd m'ship w/USAA because he was never a member.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.