cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit card or bank card to split bills?

tag
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

Best Credit card or bank card to split bills?

My girfriend wants to do %50 %50 on anything that we spend.  She wants to find the easiest way to do this.  That way when I pay at a restaurant it would automatically charge her half and vise versa.

Does something like this exist?  what is the aboslute simplest option for this?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Credit card or bank card to split bills?

Why not just get the cards best for your spend (either cashback, travel rewards, whatever you want), open a joint checking in which you both contribute and then pay the bills using the joint account?

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 2 of 6
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@JoshNurse wrote:

My girfriend wants to do %50 %50 on anything that we spend.  She wants to find the easiest way to do this.  That way when I pay at a restaurant it would automatically charge her half and vise versa.

At restaurants and major shopping places, you can give two credit cards and ask them to split the bill evenly.

Otherwise you might have to go through the joint a/c route.

Message 3 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@JoshNurse wrote:

You could add two checking accounts to an existing account and then just pay half with one and half with the other.   You could add each other as AU on these accounts.  However, you may want to post on the "Relationships" board if you're looking for more input on the impact of AUs and Credit Cards in a relationship.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 6
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

You could add two checking accounts to an existing account and then just pay half with one and half with the other.   You could add each other as AU on these accounts.  However, you may want to post on the "Relationships" board if you're looking for more input on the impact of AUs and Credit Cards in a relationship.   

Don't think there is really simple but safe way.   To avoid too much credit entanglement, I might:

1) Each get a credit card (no AU) that you agree to use only for joint expenses.

2) Each get a prepaid account, like Amex Bluebird

3) Both set up direct deposit, each contributing the same amount to each Bluebird

4) Pay the credit cards from the Bluebirds

Then, if things go bad in the relationship, all that is financially at risk is whatever small amount is  in each others bluebird.  

But not very simple!

Message 5 of 6
JoshNurse
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@JoshNurse wrote:

Don't think there is really simple but safe way.   To avoid too much credit entanglement, I might:

1) Each get a credit card (no AU) that you agree to use only for joint expenses.

2) Each get a prepaid account, like Amex Bluebird

3) Both set up direct deposit, each contributing the same amount to each Bluebird

4) Pay the credit cards from the Bluebirds

Then, if things go bad in the relationship, all that is financially at risk is whatever small amount is  in each others bluebird.  

But not very simple!

good idea Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.