Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Food > Gas > Other rewards

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: Best Food > Gas > Other rewards

@evil_ducky wrote:
Groceries/gas --> Amex BCE or BCP; BankAmericard 321 Rewards if you do a lot of grocery shopping at Target or Walmart; Sallie Mae Barclaycard if you spend limited amounts on groceries/gas

Restaurants/Fast Food --> Amex Costco TrueEarnings; US Bank Cash+; quarterly cards like Discover or Chase

Utilities --> US Bank Cash+; Huntington Voice

Amazon --> !Sallie Mae Barclaycard!

Cash + doesn't have a utilities/bills category any longer.  The only thing close to a bill category is one for cell phone and one for gym membership.  I think Fidelity Amex (2% back), Fidelity Visa (1.5% back), or Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% back) would be good for bill pay.

Message 11 of 60
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

1) Sallie Mae, 5% gas and groceries up to $250 per month each (+ 5% on bookstores including Amazon, up to $750 per month)

2) Amex Blue Cash Preferred, 6% groceries up to $6K per year, 3% gas (and 3% select department stores)

3) Amex Everyday Preferred: 3MR groceries up to $6K a year, 2MR gas (and select department stores) 50% if 30 or more purchases per month

4) Amex Blue Cash: 5% groceries, 5% gas (and 5% drug stores) no cap, after initial $6.5K a year

Wow 6% is the highest I've seen. Is that BCP straight cash or points? I'm guessing cash hence the name? But the regular BC might match it with 5% instead of 3 on gas. I'll need to research those thanks!

Statement credit 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@evil_ducky wrote:

Well, BCE is never the solution, Sallie Mae is always better for this.   Isn't 321 Rewards limited as well, why is that preferable to Sallie Mae

Not everyone spends less than $250 a month on grocery and discount stores, so BCE is a good mid-line alternative for someone who doesn't spend enough to justify the BCP's AF. BCE does give 3% on groceries as opposed to the BofA's 2% and vice versa on the gas, and people have different priorities. But the advantage of the BofA and the Sallie Mae over Amex is the grocery discount as discount stores like Target and Wally World. I just got the Sallie Mae myself as well, but it *is* a small cap for gas and groceries, so I don't assume it will work for everyone. 

You and the other posters have excellent answers as well; I just posted mine before I refreshed. Smiley Happy

My point was as TMWC infamous chart posted later shows, the BCE is ALWAYS inferior to the Sallie Mae on gas and groceries.   This is because the higher cap is undone by the lower rate.   So, apart from select department stores (and 2% is nothing special!) there really is no case for BCE as a grocery/gas card   (and the Everyday is a better free Amex card if that is what is desired!)

Message 13 of 60
evil_ducky
Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

@evil_ducky wrote:
Groceries/gas --> Amex BCE or BCP; BankAmericard 321 Rewards if you do a lot of grocery shopping at Target or Walmart; Sallie Mae Barclaycard if you spend limited amounts on groceries/gas

Restaurants/Fast Food --> Amex Costco TrueEarnings; US Bank Cash+; quarterly cards like Discover or Chase

Cash + doesn't have a utilities/bills category any longer.  The only thing close to a bill category is one for cell phone and one for gym memberships.  I think Fidelity Amex (2% back), Fidelity Visa (1.5% back), or Capital One Quicksilver (1.5% back) would be good for bill pay.

Boo... Good to know. Thanks for the catch.

Message 14 of 60
Bman70
Established Contributor

@evil_ducky wrote:

Not everyone spends less than $250 a month on grocery and discount stores

Exactly, I'm higher in both categories. So far the BCP looks like my rewards would easily cover the AF plus tidy profit

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 15 of 60
evil_ducky
Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@evil_ducky wrote:

Well, BCE is never the solution, Sallie Mae is always better for this.   Isn't 321 Rewards limited as well, why is that preferable to Sallie Mae

Not everyone spends less than $250 a month on grocery and discount stores, so BCE is a good mid-line alternative for someone who doesn't spend enough to justify the BCP's AF. BCE does give 3% on groceries as opposed to the BofA's 2% and vice versa on the gas, and people have different priorities. But the advantage of the BofA and the Sallie Mae over Amex is the grocery discount as discount stores like Target and Wally World. I just got the Sallie Mae myself as well, but it *is* a small cap for gas and groceries, so I don't assume it will work for everyone. 

You and the other posters have excellent answers as well; I just posted mine before I refreshed. Smiley Happy

My point was as TMWC infamous chart posted later shows, the BCE is ALWAYS inferior to the Sallie Mae on gas and groceries.   This is because the higher cap is undone by the lower rate.   So, apart from select department stores (and 2% is nothing special!) there really is no case for BCE as a grocery/gas card   (and the Everyday is a better free Amex card if that is what is desired!)

Makes sense. I guess two Sallie Maes is the answer! lol

Message 16 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

1) Sallie Mae, 5% gas and groceries up to $250 per month each (+ 5% on bookstores including Amazon, up to $750 per month)

2) Amex Blue Cash Preferred, 6% groceries up to $6K per year, 3% gas (and 3% select department stores)

3) Amex Everyday Preferred: 3MR groceries up to $6K a year, 2MR gas (and select department stores) 50% if 30 or more purchases per month

4) Amex Blue Cash: 5% groceries, 5% gas (and 5% drug stores) no cap, after initial $6.5K a year

Wow 6% is the highest I've seen. Is that BCP straight cash or points? I'm guessing cash hence the name? But the regular BC might match it with 5% instead of 3 on gas. I'll need to research those thanks!

If you are using the BC as Amex intends (rather than for buying certain things at drug stores say) you need to spend a lot on groceries to overcome that yearly 6.5K threshold.  This is the opposite of the BCP cap, you don't get 5% UNTIL you have spent that, you get 1% at groceries, gas and drugstores, and 0.5% elsewhere in that initial yearly spend.     In effect, it is like an annual fee, to use this card you need to accept lower rewards until you reach the threshold, and then it is golden!

Message 17 of 60
Bman70
Established Contributor

So far unless I'm missing something the BCP seems like it was designed for my spending habits. Grocery highest, then gas.. I wouldn't use it for the 1% other stuff, instead go to my Quicksilver or maybe an Amazon. Just got a preapproval for the Amex Everyday in the mail, so hopefully that's a good indicator for the BCP. Great suggestions, thanks!

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 18 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

So far unless I'm missing something the BCP seems like it was designed for my spending habits. Grocery highest, then gas.. I wouldn't use it for the 1% other stuff, instead go to my Quicksilver or maybe an Amazon. Just got a preapproval for the Amex Everyday in the mail, so hopefully that's a good indicator for the BCP. Great suggestions, thanks!

Well, take a look at TMWC's chart as well, with your estimated gas and grocery spend.   The BCP has a $75 annual fee, and a lower rate on the first $250 of gas per month, so in some cases the Sallie Mae might still win.

The other choice is the Everyday Preferred, but this decision between this and BCP depends on just one question, can I use Membership Rewards points well (enough).   A common valuation of MR is 2c per point, and if you can do this, it blows the BCP away (getting 9% on the first $6K of groceries, 6% on gas and 3% on everything else, assuming you use it 30 times a month).  The card created a lot of excitement among those who can use the points, as a minimum of 3% on everything is pretty good.

Message 19 of 60
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@evil_ducky wrote:

$1500 I believe but I can't remember if thats per qtr or month

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.