Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

NO AMEX's. 

I shop at Asian grocery stores and they don't take amex.

What would you guys choose? 

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

Depends on how much you spend...there's a nice chart here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Message 2 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on how much you spend...there's a nice chart here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Thanks for that, but if you looked at the gas AND grocery chart, it's mainly filled with AMEX + SM and a CCU card.

I'm looking for the best card for groceries ONLY and one that isn't an AMEX.

Message 3 of 43
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

NO AMEX's. 

I shop at Asian grocery stores and they don't take amex.

What would you guys choose? 

If you live within the footprint of Huntington Bank (Midwest?), there's the Huntington Voice Card that is a select your own 3% category card and one of the options is grocery stores and 1% back on evyerhing else.  It's a MasterCard and there are also no FTF.  https://www.huntington.com/landing/pas/creditcardrewards/  If you don't live in their geographic region, you won't be able to apply.

Other than that, the only options given your criteria are 2% cards (BOA Cash Rewards, US Bank Cash +, Citi Double Cash, etc.).

Chase Freedom did offer 5% back at grocery stores during the first quarter of this year.  Perhaps they will do the same in Q1 2016?

Message 4 of 43
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

Honestly, now that the SM is gone, and Amex isn't an option, I think it'd be better to just get a flat 2% card since you're going to be looking at 2-3% max if we exclude cards with rotating categories. Might as well put the inquiry to use and get something with a bonus, since you'd have to spend quite a lot to match a decent bonus anyways.

Message 5 of 43
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

If you're looking for consistency in rewards (non rotating) and acceptance of the card, BOA has the cash rewards that earns 2% on groceries, however if you can get with Citi, the double cash card kinda wins because you can get 2% everything and not just groceries.

Do these Asian markets take Discover? You could do a Freedom + it combo with regards to 5% rotating cashback categories on groceries. Plus Discover has the double your cash back deal going on so you could get 10% during the grocery category.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@14Fiesta wrote:

If you're looking for consistency in rewards (non rotating) and acceptance of the card, BOA has the cash rewards that earns 2% on groceries, however if you can get with Citi, the double cash card kinda wins because you can get 2% everything and not just groceries.

Do these Asian markets take Discover? You could do a Freedom + it combo with regards to 5% rotating cashback categories on groceries. Plus Discover has the double your cash back deal going on so you could get 10% during the grocery category.

Only Visa and MC.

Message 7 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for that, but if you looked at the gas AND grocery chart, it's mainly filled with AMEX + SM and a CCU card.

Good point; my bad!

As suggested above, Huntington Voice gets 3%.  In addition, so do Golden1 Platinum Rewards and Consumer Credit Union Cash Rewards.

Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good point; my bad!

As suggested above, Huntington Voice gets 3%.  In addition, so do Golden1 Platinum Rewards and Consumer Credit Union Cash Rewards.

I'm in California, so HV wouldn't be an option. Nor would Golden1, I believe.

Looks like its between CCU and Citi DC.

Thanks for everyone's input. 

Message 9 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually it appears that Golden 1 is California-based; according to their website they are "California's leading financial cooperative" so you might be in luck! Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.