cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

@Anonymous wrote:

NO AMEX's. 

I shop at Asian grocery stores and they don't take amex.

What would you guys choose? 

Make a Facebook account (or something of the like) and gather people to sign a petition that the Asian grocery store should accept American Express because it's cheaper to provide that service than to have a bunch of boycotting customers. American Express 3% cash back on groceries is the best offer around.

Message 11 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually it appears that Golden 1 is California-based; according to their website they are "California's leading financial cooperative" so you might be in luck! Smiley Happy

Ahh thanks for pointing that out! Smiley Very Happy

But it's a CU.....might need two hardpulls for the account and also credit card....

Message 12 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclaycard Rewards MC and Bank of America Cash Rewards both have 2% on groceries.  

Message 13 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclaycard Rewards MC and Bank of America Cash Rewards both have 2% on groceries.  

2% is useless just for grocery. I would just go with Citi DC. 

Message 14 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

That reminds me: if you somehow manage to have Preferred Rewards with BoA this early in your life you might actually want to consider their Cash Rewards card.  If you have $20k/$50k/$100k with them you get 25%/50%/75% bonus cashback when you redeem into a BoA account, which makes it a 4.5/3/1.5 card at the second tier, making it arguably one of the best cash back cards out there.

Again, this is assuming you have this kind of money laying around, which if you do before you're 20 more power to you Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

PENFED Platinum Rewards is 3X on groceries which translates to 2.5%. I use it after SM grocery cap. Currently there is $100 signup bonus after $1500 spend in 90 days. Maybe an option for you.
Message 16 of 43
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Make sure you're considering redemptions and not just earn rate.  Don't assume that 3x = 3%.

@Anonymous wrote:

American Express 3% cash back on groceries is the best offer around.

AmEx has a number of cards -- not just the BCE.  Again, depends on spend and where one shops for groceries.  AmEX also has the BCP and OBC which could be a good fit for grocery spend.  The Everday cards could also be a good fit for those that can leverage MR points.

Message 17 of 43
slicemans
Regular Contributor

Message 18 of 43
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That reminds me: if you somehow manage to have Preferred Rewards with BoA this early in your life you might actually want to consider their Cash Rewards card.  If you have $20k/$50k/$100k with them you get 25%/50%/75% bonus cashback when you redeem into a BoA account, which makes it a 4.5/3/1.5 card at the second tier, making it arguably one of the best cash back cards out there.

Again, this is assuming you have this kind of money laying around, which if you do before you're 20 more power to you Smiley Happy

And if you only have a savings/checking with them is 10%.

So for groceries it is:

2% card only

2.2% if you have savings/checking account

2.5% if you have $20K

3% if you have $50K

3.5% if you have $100K

Message 19 of 43
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I read an article somewhere about the true "cost" of putting your money into BOA for the Preferred Rewards program. Don't think I can post the link per se but here's an excerpt:

"This is Bank of America. Stop and think before you jump in.

To qualify for the 75% bonus level you need to keep at least $100,000 in Bank of America checking, savings, or investment accounts (via Merrill Lynch).

Without ranting about their checking accounts, let’s think about what you’re trading off here.

Bank of America’s best savings accounts earn only 0.10% interest, and that’s including a special 20% interest rate boost.

So on $100,000 you earn just $100 a year in interest.

In contrast, it’s easy to earn 1% or more with an online savings/ checking combo. That would earn you $1,000 a year in interest.

So to earn an extra $270 in cash back a year, you’re sacrificing $900 a year in interest."

If you have money with them anyway and will get the Preferred Rewards, then sure have at it but I would never dump money in their bank just to get the rewards as you are giving up interest to get a tiny bit more in cash back. Again, it's all psychological.

As far as BOA Cash, not sure why you'd cold app for it over a Double Cash for 2% groceries. DC will give you 2% everything. Not really seeing the point unless the extra 1% on gas is meaningful.

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.