cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

tag
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Grocery Card now that SMMC died?

@Anonymous Mclean wrote:

I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride
Something touched me deep inside
The day Sallie Mae died
So
Bye, bye Miss American Pie

Message 31 of 43
TheConductor
Established Contributor

I was going to suggest the JCB Marukai.  Kudos to Petrovius for thinking of it.

Also, while the Chase Freedom is not always offering 5% on groceries, when it comes around in the bonus rotation it's an excellent option.

If you're OK with points instead of direct cashback, the Diners Club Elite WEMC may be the best value you're going to get for groceries in a Visa or Mastercard. 3x points on groceries, which with travel partner redemptions can easily be worth 2 cents per point.  $300 AF, though, so you'll need to take that into account. Comes with some nice top-tier card benefits like lounge acceess, concierge, etc., so it can certainly be a good value if you think the amenities available justify the AF.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 32 of 43
kdong1996
Regular Contributor

The JCB Marukai wouldn't work for OP since it's JCB which means that it uses the Discover Network.... OP's Asian grocery stores only accept Visa and MasterCard

Also it's pretty hard to get since they manually review every application and usually require extensive proof of income. SLs aren't very great either usually only a few k even with high income. But otherwise it's a great card.
Message 33 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

When exactly did the Sallie Mae die? Last I know there was a big fuss about the application link getting pulled and that was that.
Message 34 of 43
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on how much you spend...there's a nice chart here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Cash-Back-credit-card-charts/td-p/4004725

Thanks for that, but if you looked at the gas AND grocery chart, it's mainly filled with AMEX + SM and a CCU card.

I'm looking for the best card for groceries ONLY and one that isn't an AMEX.

I like the Barclay Rewards Mastercard for groceries... it's a flat 2% on all grocery purchases. You get your points fast, you can redeem easily and for cash.

It's not a good card for carrying balances or cash advances or balance transfers, but it's a great card for grocery puchases IMHO.

But not much advantage over a 2% everywhere card like the DC.   Yes, points post on transactions, but you only get 2% on a few things.

Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take it from someone who deals with numbers day in and day out. 5 is more than 2.
Message 36 of 43
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Take it from someone who deals with numbers day in and day out. 5 is more than 2.

Shutup.. Lol.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 37 of 43
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Eliminating American Express and Discover networks, plus the removal of the application link for the Sallie Mae Rewards card, does tend to narrow the Cash Back Grocery card field...

Golden1 Platinum Rewards Visa has 3% Gas, Grocery, Restaurant. Limited to California.

Consumers Credit Union Visa Signature Cash Rebate Card gives 3% cash back at Grocery stores, and has an extremely* high spending cap.

Huntington Voice has a Selectable 3% Grocery store category capped at $2000 spend per quarter.

Santander Bravo gives 3X on Grocery, Gas and Restaurant, capped at $5000 spend per quarter. It has a $49 annual fee waived first year.

Target Redcard gives 5% at Target, if you buy groceries at Target.

Kroger has a 1-2-3 card, if you shop at Kroger.

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa gives 5% on Gas, Grocery and Drugstore purchases, but only for the first 6 months.

Wells Fargo Cash Back College Visa gives 3% on Gas, Grocery and Drugstore purchases, but only for the first 6 months.

TD Bank Easy Rewards VISA 5x on dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for the first 6 billing cycles.

TD Bank Cash Rewards VISA 5% on dining, groceries, gas and cable, phone and utility bill payments for the first 6 billing cycles.

Thats all I can think of offhand.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 38 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Unless a politician is doing the math.

Message 39 of 43
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

If it is cash back all the aboved mentioned are good. If you like Best Buy and have the Citi Best Buy Visa  they are currently doing 2% cash back on groceries and gas until Jan 2016

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.