Not applicable

Re: Best Hotel, Gas and Dining CC

CSP/CSR

Message 11 of 45
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@deltatee wrote:
If you're looking for just 1 card, the Citi Anywhere card would be good if you're a Costco member: 4% gas, 3% dining, 3% travel, all one card.

+1

Another good suggestion if you're a Sam's Club shopper is the Sam's Club MasterCard... it's also 3% travel and 3% dining, in addition to 5% for gas.

The Sam's Club MC has the same caveat as the Costco Visa, though, which is you can only redeem rewards once per year and have to cash the check in a club location (if you frequent a club location to shop anyway this won't be a problem, of course).

Message 12 of 45
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@fltireguy wrote:
SPG for hotels. AARP for gas and dining. Between the two, you have everything that you need pretty much covered 😎

This is what I do only I use Hilton for my hotel stay...but AARP for gas and food.  Decent combination for my needs.

Message 13 of 45
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

If you want points instead of cashback, your best bet is probably the CSR/CSP or the Citi Prestige.  Depending on how long your stays are, the Prestige offers a 4th night benefit.  I don't actually know of any cards that offer travel points for gas year round.  Also, I don't think a branded hotel card will maximize your points unless you frequently stay at that brand. 

Message 14 of 45
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I recently accepted a new job that will require me to travel weekly. It will mostly be road travel so gas, hotels and dining will be my primary spend. I will be flying some as well but mostly road warrior travel.

I currently use my Amex ED card.  I received an Amex Platinum offer in the mail in January which was only for 50,000 bonus spend and I am pretty sure it has expired. I have also received email offers for Citi's Hilton Honors with 75K bonus after $2K in spend in 3 months and Amex's SPG card with a 35K bonus after 3K in spend.

I kind of would like one card for all to make it simple but thought I would see what suggestions you might have.

Thanks!

I don't think 1 card will cut it. I think you need 2.1 for gas and dining, 1 for hotels.

Chase AARP is IMHO best for gas and dining... gives you a flat 3% cash back on both.

It seems to me for hotels, the best bet is to get one or more hotel cards that cover the hotel chains and brands you're most likely to frequent. If you don't want to be bothered thinking about that, you could go with a Venture or Arrival card, pick up 2 points on everything, and just use it towards your hotel stays at whatever hotel you feel like, or you could go with a Chase Sapphire Preferred or an Amex Everyday, depending on which has more hotel travel partners that are up your ally.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the recent changes to the Amex Plat and increased AF, it's really only for those who fly frequently or dont have to worry about making the AF worth it, since they use the perks.

Since you already have the EveryDay, consider upgrading that card to the ED Preferred to get the 2x point on gas purchases.

For hotels and dining, definitely suggest Chase CSP(2x travel/dining) or CSR(3x travel/dining). 

Also something to consider, with the recent Starwood/Marriott merger, you can transfer/pool your points with these programs. Points from the ED card can transfer to Starwood. Points from CSP/CSR can transfer to Marriott. So you can transfer points between Starwood and Marriott depending on which brand you use.

The SPG Amex is great for non-category spend/ and Starwood/Marriott hotel spend, since the points are valuable. Just keep in mind the SPG program may change or discontinue in 2018 when Marriott attempts to combine the rewards programs. 

Also keep in mind the spending requirements for the signup bonuses. If you get CSP/CSR and SPG, that's $7000 in the first three months; definitely a lot for almost anyone.

Message 16 of 45
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

For hotels are you going to be able to choose a chain and stick with it, or will you be required to be below a certain cost?

Message 17 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would go with the previous responses and throw the CSR / Costco Citi out there,

Message 18 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aarp-I was hesitant about carrying an aarp card too but I got over it because of the great card that it is-and really nobody really looks at your card unless it is a cool looking card.
Message 19 of 45
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Hotel & Dining: My vote would go to the CSP/CSR. 

Gas: Not sure, I just use my Chase Freedom Unlimited for this. I'm sure theres a better option in terms of rewards, but I'm not entertaining the idea of applying for new credit. 

Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.