tag
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

Re: Best NO FTF Chip and Pin card ?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Btw, If I were to get a true chip&pin card I would get this:

https://www.unfcu.org/product.aspx?id=386

Yes, I had thought that this was a (highly) restricted CU, but it seems not with UNA-USA membership being enough and anyone can join. The Azure card also has chip&pin, lines up to $50K, and no AF.   But the reward programs is pretty bad on both cards

I agree, but I wouldn't get it because of the rewards programs. It would be mainly because of chip&pin (assuming I really have the need for it), potential to grow a huge line of credit, and low APR, which I never use but it's good to know you could if you have to.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 31 of 65
Open123
Super Contributor

The one I use is HSBC Premier.  No fee, no FTF, and essentially a 2% card when redeemed at certain thresholds.

Message 32 of 65
lonno925
Established Member

I'll second bofa travel. In England for 4 months traveled to Italy, France, and Germany. All took chip and sig. Only downside you can't get cash back which i don't do with credit cards anyway. only downside is it is only really good on travel expenses for the rewards. Which is why I jus tapped for freedom for the cash back. 

AE store-3600 | Local Bank-5000 | BofA Travel-7000 | Discover IT- 8000 |Chase Freedom-3000 | Chase Slate - 1000 | Amex Blue Cash - 2000
Message 33 of 65
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

My recommendation: Look for a no FTF card and select the rest of the perks to your  needs. (cash back, miles, free nights, AF, etc) 

Completely disregard the chip when selecting the ideal card for you. The only problem I have in Europe is when using "resident's services" with mobile devices. These devices are set up for chip & pin only and do not work on chip & signature. Most card terminals in Europe are dual terminals and on certain terminals you just need to find out where to swipe..LOL (sometimes merchants do not even know as they have not seen magnetic stripe cards in nearly a decade...but it works)

Message 34 of 65
titanofold
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

The Wings Financial CC is chip & pin. It does not have chip & sig.

According to the FT document, it is the same as the others, chip&sig priority, then chip&pin.   It also says there is a 1% FTF.   Do you know that that is wrong?

Only that Wings Financial never mentions chip & sig on their site but repeatedly states chip & pin on three different pages.

Right, but that can be because chip&pin is the new thing, so is mentioned.   

BTW, I started a fake app, and indeed the FTF is 1%

The CU isn't open to all

And I decided to get an answer from them directly:

@Anonymous Financial wrote:

Hi titanofold:

Thank you for contacting Wings Financial Credit Union.

The Visa Signature Card does offer both pin and signature. The signature does take priority first and then then defaults to a pin.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Amy

I'm going to write how disappointed I am over this.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 35 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

titanofold wrote:

I'm going to write how disappointed I am over this.

Disappointing, but what is good is that you found a rep able to clearly answer the question! 

From what I read, at least earlier, all the CUs who offer some type of Chip & Pin are getting it from a single source, so they all share sig priority.

Message 36 of 65
marche
New Visitor

I was in rotterdam and tried to buy a ticket at a ticket machine (NS) and the machine accepted by BofA Travel rewards card, but asked for a PIN. Since I didnt have one, I just hit cancel.. Maybe BofA has a priority for PIN as well? I have not yet called bofa as I am still overseas. 

Message 37 of 65
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@marche wrote:

I was in rotterdam and tried to buy a ticket at a ticket machine (NS) and the machine accepted by BofA Travel rewards card, but asked for a PIN. Since I didnt have one, I just hit cancel.. Maybe BofA has a priority for PIN as well? I have not yet called bofa as I am still overseas. 

THey're all chip and Sig. You can't use these cards at kiosks in other countries. You need a true Chip & Pin for this transaction to go through.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 38 of 65
USF813
Frequent Contributor

OP - If you'll be in the Netherlands, you'll need a chip and pin, or debit card to purchase train tickets. The kiosk machines and live ticket agents don't take non-chip and pin. Other than that, most chain fast food restaurants (McDonalds, etc...) take US based magnetic strip cards. You may have difficulty at stand alone restaurants. Hotels should be no issue using magnetic strip cards.

Now, if you're not going to be in Amsterdam, then just ignore what I said above! If you are going to be there, enjoy it. I've been 27 times and it never gets boring.

Off topic, but Wings offers chip and pin now? Mmmm, i'm eligible to join them. Might have to check it out. Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 65
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

I recommend real Chip&Pin too, for the same reasons. In Europe Chip and Sig is very uncommon and it may not be accepted at all places.

I think these points are important

-Chip&Pin

-no FTF

-no AF

So, I checked out this post:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/EMV-Chip-Cards/td-p/2087483/highlight/true

But this spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ani-u3tGk5hedGRvcE1ELVg5UmlGZk01SHZvTUMxdUE#gid=0

tells us that it's those cards are not default Chip&Pin.

I can't find any cards that have no AF, no FTF and default Chip&Pin

That spreadsheet was found in the active discussion on the FlyerTalk forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-available-today-chip-pin-c...

List of FCU's that offer no AF, no FTF, chip&pin (non-default unfortunately):

Andrews FCU

https://www.andrewsfcu.org/credit_cards_and_loans/credit_cards/globetrek_rewards.html

PenFed FCU

https://www.penfed.org/credit-card-overview/

State Dept FCU

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

Any others, let us know!

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.