Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Option for Furniture Purchase?

tag
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Best Option for Furniture Purchase?

I think I am going to need to buy about $1000-$1200 in furniture and want to figure out the best way.

Are there any "warnings" against taking in-store financing?  Was looking at American Signature Furniture / Value City Furniture specifically - which I think is a comenity card. I am wondering if they only give a CL to the amount of furniture purchased (making my UTIL start at 100% - not ideal)

I do have an unused  $4800 Macys Furniture Credit Line, so I could use that. 

I could also put it on a card I already own but would like to leave those as low as possible while I pay off BT / old balance (Totalling about $3500)

Any thoughts / advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Iamien
Established Member

Re: Best Option for Furniture Purchase?

You have a a $3500 balance and are looking to spend $1200 to presumably carry as a balance on another card.

Since you are looking to carry a balance the winner is whatever interest rate is lower.  If store gives you 0% for 6/12 months take it. It makes no sense to pay more in interest in order to save a few credit points.

733 TU (08/21/2013)
Amex BCE($20,000): 3% Groceries - 2% Gas - 2% Department Stores
US Bank Cash+($9,500): 5% Fast Food - 5% Cellphones - 2% Resteraunts
Chase Freedom($4000): 5% Rotating
CapOne QuickSilver($30,000): 1.5% Everything
Citi Double Cash($12,500): 2% Everything.
Lowes($2,400) 5% off Lowes.
Message 2 of 4
jd352
Regular Contributor

My thought process is that the purpose of having good credit is to use it when you need it. If it makes sense to open a new account to avoid paying interest, go for it. But, make sure you have the means to pay it while paying your balance transfer debts. You could also attempt to open up a new card with a 0% offer for 12+ months. That way, you actually have a usable revolving card in the future after the furniture is paid off.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 3 of 4
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

really wish I could just find a furn store that would do a loan. That would be awesome Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.