Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Revolving Amex CC????

tag
daytrade5
Contributor

Re: Best Revolving Amex CC????

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a-la Sam's club. You get 1% cash back from Costco purchases and Costco's annual fee ($50) is waived.

You can get 5% rewards for restaurants from Citi Forward, but it's pretty much 1% for everything else.

Thanks! I appreciate your input. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 29
daytrade5
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@daytrade5 wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

Amex will hard pull for the new card on EX.  From what you spend per month, the Blue Cash would be the best card for you.  Good luck!

Darn, I was hoping they would only soft pull me....Lol. This brings up another question (if you don't mind), would it be better to just keep my Zync then? What advantages would I have with the Blue Cash over the Zync (other than the obvious rewards points)?  

I don't have either card, but my impression is Blue Cash has the better cash redemption option and no annual fee. 

Thanks!

Message 12 of 29
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Penfed also has a travel rewards Amex with no annual fee that has pretty decent benefits.  This isn't a "true" Amex, but worth checking out.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 29
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a-la Sam's club. You get 1% cash back from Costco purchases and Costco's annual fee ($50) is waived.

You can get 5% rewards for restaurants from Citi Forward, but it's pretty much 1% for everything else.

You do have to pay the Costco membership fee ($50 I think for the basic membership) and then no additional amount for the Amex card.  I have the Costco Amex card and I use it for gas, restaurants, and my Costco purchases.  The rewards (rebate) is paid once a year by American Express (in Feb).  It's a great card if you have more than one card that you like to use regularly for other things.  I like to use my Chase Freedom card too for the 5% back categories.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 14 of 29
daytrade5
Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You do have to pay the Costco membership fee ($50 I think for the basic membership) and then no additional amount for the Amex card.  I have the Costco Amex card and I use it for gas, restaurants, and my Costco purchases.  The rewards (rebate) is paid once a year by American Express (in Feb).  It's a great card if you have more than one card that you like to use regularly for other things.  I like to use my Chase Freedom card too for the 5% back categories.

Funny you mentioned Chase Freedom jefftca925, I was actually thinking about applying for that card (mainly because of the commercials). But seriously, it does sound like a great card to have. But the overall reviews of Chase cards have not been the best. What's your take?

Message 15 of 29
daytrade5
Contributor

Anybody have experience with the BOA Amex?

Message 16 of 29
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@daytrade5 wrote:

LOL!  I have both!  I love both cards for different reasons.  I really like the Ultimate Rewards program that Chase has with the Freedom card.  It's easy to build up points with them and they have pretty decent redemption values for them.  The BofA program is ok IMO (redemption is not as good as Chase) but their customer service is better.  Plus BofA gives better CLs and increases than Chase.  Honestly, I think you'd be better getting an Amex revolver as their CS is top notch and the Blue Cash card (based on your spending) would be most beneficial to you.  I just don't put that much through ONE card every month so it doesn't fit my needs.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 17 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't have the BofA AmEx, although I'll probably try to PC from my current BofA World MC to get the better cash back.

I have the PenFed AmEx and the USAA AmEx. I use the first for the travel rewards (plus they just popped up with 5% in other areas again), and I used to use the second for big-ticket purchases for the consumer protections. Now that so many Visas and MC's offer the same thing, I don't use it much any more.

I have two AmEx AmEx's: Blue and Costco TrueEarnings. I don't use the Blue much any more, because I'm not a big fan of points. I love the Costco card. I go to Costco maybe once a month, and I could happily keep using the card without ever shopping at Costco again, because the rewards are good, and because I greatly prefer cash rewards.

IMO, it's a great card, even if you never set foot in Costco. It's just that there's the $50 fee. But the membership CSR at my local Costco swore that they refund the fee if you shop at Costco. We shall see. Smiley Wink

Oh, and I had a Gold (charge) card first. I opened the Blue a month before the annual fee was going to pop up, and then I canceled the Gold (pre-fee.) No problems from AmEx.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 18 of 29
daytrade5
Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

@daytrade5 wrote:

LOL!  I have both!  I love both cards for different reasons.  I really like the Ultimate Rewards program that Chase has with the Freedom card.  It's easy to build up points with them and they have pretty decent redemption values for them.  The BofA program is ok IMO (redemption is not as good as Chase) but their customer service is better.  Plus BofA gives better CLs and increases than Chase.  Honestly, I think you'd be better getting an Amex revolver as their CS is top notch and the Blue Cash card (based on your spending) would be most beneficial to you.  I just don't put that much through ONE card every month so it doesn't fit my needs.

Haha, well having both is a good thing! You're CC profile is rather impressive, congrats on that! I appreciate your input, I think i'll be going for the Amex Blue Cash since Amex will back date my account. I love the customer service that Amex offers & don't think i'm willing to sacrifice that. Smiley Happy
Message 19 of 29
daytrade5
Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I don't have the BofA AmEx, although I'll probably try to PC from my current BofA World MC to get the better cash back.

I have the PenFed AmEx and the USAA AmEx. I use the first for the travel rewards (plus they just popped up with 5% in other areas again), and I used to use the second for big-ticket purchases for the consumer protections. Now that so many Visas and MC's offer the same thing, I don't use it much any more.

I have two AmEx AmEx's: Blue and Costco TrueEarnings. I don't use the Blue much any more, because I'm not a big fan of points. I love the Costco card. I go to Costco maybe once a month, and I could happily keep using the card without ever shopping at Costco again, because the rewards are good, and because I greatly prefer cash rewards.

IMO, it's a great card, even if you never set foot in Costco. It's just that there's the $50 fee. But the membership CSR at my local Costco swore that they refund the fee if you shop at Costco. We shall see. Smiley Wink

Oh, and I had a Gold (charge) card first. I opened the Blue a month before the annual fee was going to pop up, and then I canceled the Gold (pre-fee.) No problems from AmEx.

Thanks haulingthescoreup! Great to know I could cancel my Zync without being put in timeout by Amex! I was under the impression that I would have to shop at Costco often to really take advantage of the card offerings. Did you apply for this card in store or online? Just when I thought I had my mind set on the Blue Cash, you share this awesome news (minus the $50 fee)! Smiley Happy 

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.