Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Reward Card for Groceries?

tag
GPMDRL
New Contributor

Best Reward Card for Groceries?

I'll be looking for a rewards card in July once the purchase of my home is complete. I'd like a travel/miles reward card but would consider a cash back one for the right deals. Credit score around a 750-760 avg and no debt (before my new mortgage kicks in Smiley Happy

We spend a lot on groceries, any cards give 2x or the like? I remember seeing something a while back but forget what it was. Thanks!!!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Contributor

Re: Best Reward Card for Groceries?

If you spend at least $200 a month, the American Blue Cash Preferred is your best bet. It gives 6% back on grocery stores. Do note that it has a $75 annual fee, but if you're spending enough a month, it won't be an issue.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 2 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Amex Blue Cash Preferred 6% but has annual fee, or Amex Blue Cash Everyday 3% no annual fee, are good choices.

You might also try getting the Sallie Mae World Mastercard. 5% back on upto $250 grocery purchases per month. Assuming you are married, both of you might be able to obtain this card, thus doubling the groceries you could get 5% on, with no annual fee.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 15
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Where do you buy groceries? Cards such as Amex BCE/BCP only give bonuses at independent grocery stores. Groceries purchased at warehouse clubs such as Sam's and Costco or discount stores such as Walmart and Target don't qualify for the extra cash back. I buy most of my groceries at Walmart. Their prices are typically lower than grocery stores even after accounting for the 3% I would get back from using my BCE.

Forgot to mention that if you have a Walmart Neigborhood Market in your area, Amex counts those as grocery stores.

Message 4 of 15
GPMDRL
New Contributor

That's interesting, didnt even think Walmart wouldn't count. I like Walmart for their prices, my wife however is not a fan of the local one and goes to a stand alone grocery store. Since she does 90% of the shopping, we should be ok. Seems like Amex is the best with the 6% back. I have an Amex biz card that we put the gas on so fuel rewards on this particular card isn't important. Thanks for the ideas so far!!!
Message 5 of 15
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Ever heard of Publix? Piggly Wiggly? Winn Dixie? Kroger? Trader Joes? Whole foods?

Independent grocery stores are everywhere.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 6 of 15
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

@GPMDRL wrote:
That's interesting, didnt even think Walmart wouldn't count. I like Walmart for their prices, my wife however is not a fan of the local one and goes to a stand alone grocery store. Since she does 90% of the shopping, we should be ok. Seems like Amex is the best with the 6% back. I have an Amex biz card that we put the gas on so fuel rewards on this particular card isn't important. Thanks for the ideas so far!!!

The only issue is that they've started limiting 6% back to the first $6000 of groceries per year. If your grocery bills are much higher than that keep in mind the diminishing returns. There are a few other cards out there with groceries as a bonus category but all of them have a similar spending cap and offer less cash back than the BCP.

Message 7 of 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Another possibility would be the Barclay Rewards MasterCard. 2X on Gas, Grocery and Utilities. $50 signup bonus.

The addition of the Utilities category might make this a more useful card. Depends on your needs.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 8 of 15
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

BofA is 3% gas and 2% grocery

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 9 of 15
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

There was a TYP unlimited 5% CB on gorcerystore, died two months ago.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.