Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Rewards card for Eating out?

tag
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Best Rewards card for Eating out?

Hey All,

Subject says it mostly. I am planning ahead and feel that currently the biggest gap in my Rewards card line up is for dining out. Ideally something that would cover everything from Fastfood to normal Restaurants. 

My current rewards cards are BoA 123, Barclays Rewards & Chase Freedom.

Overall these cover Gas, Utilities and Groceries reasonably well on top of the Rotating categories on the Chase that work well for me most of the time. 

I was thinking maybe the Citi Double Rewards card? Are their any others that are better?

Thanks,

Sam

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Rewards card for Eating out?

I like tooting my own horn by saying that I have the old Citi Forward which gave 5x points on dining.  I suppose the Thankyou Premier is 3x dining which isn't bad (but it has a steep annual fee of $125).  If you're not looking for travel rewards and just want cash back, the Citi Double Cash is definitely a nice pick up.

Message 2 of 14
yfan
Valued Contributor

The Costco Amex has 2% cashback on restaurants (no limits) and no annual fee (but you do need a Costco membership) - I can confirm this works for both regular restaurants and fast food places. Discover IT had the first quarter of this year 5% for restaurants. Sams Club MC has 3% on restaurants, but I have my reasons for not giving Sams any of my business.

If you have a variety of restaurants you visit or like to change things up, there is another card to consider: most any Bank of America credit or debit card. Through BankAmeriDeals (you have to add each deal to your card prior to use), BofA constantly has 10% or more cashback on restaurants. Right now they have the promo on Chilli's and Applebee's (two of my favorite places) among others. I should mention however that each promotion is only usable once per "add to card".. meaning once you use a restaurant's promo, you cannot use the same restaurant to get the same cashback until it again appears on your "available" deals. If you are willing to tailor your eating out patterns to meet BofA's promos, there is a ton of cashback to have.

Message 3 of 14
uswala
Senior Contributor

Chase AARP gives you 3% Cashback on purchases at resturants.

Message 4 of 14
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Also depends if you are looking at cash back, or if travel related cards would work for you.

Message 5 of 14
Ragelog
Established Contributor

Likely Cash or some sort Cash Alternative Gift Cards or Statement credit.

@-NewGuy- wrote:

Also depends if you are looking at cash back, or if travel related cards would work for you.

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 6 of 14
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above, the AARP card is 3% uncapped at restaurants. With the Cash + nerfing, you aren't likely to do much better than that.

Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ragelog wrote:

Hey All,

Subject says it mostly. I am planning ahead and feel that currently the biggest gap in my Rewards card line up is for dining out. Ideally something that would cover everything from Fastfood to normal Restaurants. 

My current rewards cards are BoA 123, Barclays Rewards & Chase Freedom.

Overall these cover Gas, Utilities and Groceries reasonably well on top of the Rotating categories on the Chase that work well for me most of the time. 

I was thinking maybe the Citi Double Rewards card? Are their any others that are better?

Thanks,

Sam

Lots of discussion about this in this thread, http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Cash-Restaurants-category-downgraded-to-2-next-...

(looking for dining replacements for the Cash Plus)

Message 8 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I love my new AARP Visa!!!

Message 9 of 14
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

the 12% on places that i already go is pretty nice on upromise

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.