Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Rewards card for me?

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Best Rewards card for me?

Hi all,

So I currently have a USAA Amex ($14k limit) and USAA MC ($24k limit) and I always PIF...however their rewards aren't that great ($25 cash = 3000 points with 1 point per $1 spent).

I use the AMEX for gas (they have a promotion right now, 5% cash back in addition to the rewards) and the MC for "fun stuff" (lunch out, personal things, etc).  However, the extra rewards end in September (my 1 year anniv. for the card) and so I'm starting to look at new (better) reward cards.

I have great scores (798 and 777-see sig) and the only debt I have is a SL and a mortgage...however, I am going back to school in the fall for my PhD so I need to apply now when I still have a real income.

Finally, I don't spend more than $5000 a year normally - some times that goes up to $6,000 but never more than that, especially since I'm going back to school.  Also, we don't travel a whole lot, so I don't need a card that gives me air miles - I would rather have the cash reward.  However, I do have to drive around 80 miles a day so I get gas a LOT but I usually use the grocery store gas station since I get my 10 cents off for spending money on groceries (King Soopers, it's a Kroger brand)...

So I've been looking at the Fidelity Visa 2% cash back - I don't mind investing my cash back and it seems good (plus, I don't have a Visa) but I wasn't sure if there was another card that might be better (Chase? 1-2-3 Mastercard?).

I'm an AU on a few of my mother's cards but she doesn't put a balance on them.  I also have a VS card that I use rarely to keep alive but it has a low limit ($650 I think?) and I pay it off within 24 hours after the purchase hits.  My "newest" account is the AMEX and it'll be a year old in Sept.  I also have my mortgage that will be a year old in July...the others are all over 2 years old.

So any suggestions would be welcome, thanks everyone!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Rewards card for me?

Personally, I find my best cash back to be my PenFed VISA. It all depends upon your spending pattern.

I get 5% on gas at the pump + 2% on groceries + 1% on everything else.

Plus, it's straight cash back on your next statement. No monkeying around with "points"...just plain old cash.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Peach8321 wrote:

However, I do have to drive around 80 miles a day so I get gas a LOT but I usually use the grocery store gas station since I get my 10 cents off for spending money on groceries (King Soopers, it's a Kroger brand)...

Hi Peach,

So, how is the Kroger 1-2-3 card looking to you?

Message 3 of 7
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

@Lynette: Do you have to have an account with PenFed to get the card?  Is there a $25 fee for membership or something...how long does it take to make that up in rewards?

@beamMeup: I don't use my cards for groceries (that's a joint checking account so debit card)...my cards are for my own personal use so while the 1-2-3 card would work if I could use it for gas rewards, it's not the best if it only rewards me for groceries and from what I can see...it will (at best) give me 1 point for $1...and 1000 points = $5 so that's less than I'm getting now...thanks for the suggestion though, it made me actually look at the card and the program ;-)

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have to be a member of Penfed to apply. A $5 share account is required.  One pull for both if you do it within 3 months.

There is no annual fee for the card.

I would recommend that one to you as well. If you buy gas at a grocery store, its either 5% or 2%... pretty sweet.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd also ad that Penfed does promotions a lot.  Right now, they are doing 0% balance transfers.  Maybe not right for you, but at least they're trying.

Message 6 of 7
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone!  After a combination of things at USAA (no CLI after 6 mo when asking with hint I might use for kitchen remodel, even with huge score improvement and great record + lying about rewards-if you have a promo extra, don't change reward programs until that ends!) I decided to bite the bullet and join PenFed.  So I did that, and then applied for the Visa Rewards card...offered $9,500 limit at 13.99% APR.  Not really great (my current USAA limits are $14,000 and $24,000 with APRs of 9.9% and 7.75% respectively) but since I always PIF and don't plan on charging more than $600ish a month, I suppose those offers will do. 

Hope it's only 1 pull for both, since I did one right after another all online!  Can't wait to get my card and REALLY get 5% back on gas (stupid USAA).

Any last suggestions or tips?  Otherwise thanks again for the advice y'all.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.