cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Rewards for Shopping at Amazon

tag
Gharlane

Re: Best Rewards for Shopping at Amazon

'm currently getting 5.5% for everything at Amazon with my US Bank Cash+ Signature Visa with Bookstores selected as my 5% option. (Plus the extra .005 for having the Platinum Checking package).

It looks like this on my Rewards page (apologies for formatting):

05/02/2013AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS AMZN.COM/BILL WA$188.98 $1.89
05/02/2013US Bank Platinum Package Bonus$188.98 $0.94
05/02/20135% / 2% CASH+ CATEGORY$188.98 $7.56
Recent scores: TU FICO 802; EQ FICO 812; EX PLUS (FAKO) 815

CLs: Amex Blue 20.3K | Amex Costco TE 20K | Chase Slate 19.8K | Chase Slate 16.5K | USBank Cash+ Sig 17K | Sears 5.6K | Discover More 6.5K
Message 11 of 15
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Sallie Mae for everyone or US Bank or Citi Forward if elligible, all are 5%.  Chase Amazon is only 3%.  The store card is great for financing options.  Up to 24 months depending on the promo. Plus it's a GE backed card that you can get a giant CL to help with overall UTL.

Message 12 of 15
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@Gharlane wrote:

'm currently getting 5.5% for everything at Amazon with my US Bank Cash+ Signature Visa with Bookstores selected as my 5% option. (Plus the extra .005 for having the Platinum Checking package).

It looks like this on my Rewards page (apologies for formatting):

05/02/2013AMAZON MKTPLACE PMTS AMZN.COM/BILL WA$188.98 $1.89
05/02/2013US Bank Platinum Package Bonus$188.98 $0.94
05/02/20135% / 2% CASH+ CATEGORY$188.98 $7.56

Thanks for the data point.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 13 of 15

Citi Forward will give you 5% if you redeem through several gift card options, or 4% if you redeem by linking your points to your Amazon account which lets you use your points as a payment option (the Amazon Visa has the same feature but redeems at 3%). You can also redeem for certain gift cards at 6% every once in a while when Citi has a 'sale' on their rewards, but that doesn't happen often. I got the card before 'for students' was part of the name though, so I'm not sure what their requirements are in that regard. Maybe if you have a .edu email from your old school - don't know what your situation is - you can use that to get your way in. Then again I don't know what their requirements are or how they verify those requirements.

I don't have the Cash+ but tried to apply over the phone a month or so ago since the website said you had to apply for the card at a local branch and the nearest one was halfway across the country. The CSR said I couldn't apply over the phone and that given my situation my only possibility would be applying for some other card and then asking to have it upgraded to the Cash+, which I didn't want to go through the hassle of. If you live near a branch then I might go for it though.

The Forward is a good card though, you also get the 5 points as movie theaters and restaurants/fast food. And a bonus after every month of paying on time of 100 points I think.

Message 14 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

To add: all Ty points are 1 for 1 if used towards mortgage or student loans
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.