cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured Card / Max Allowable Deposit?

tag
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Best Secured Card / Max Allowable Deposit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Great thanks!

I will sign up for these two cards and put the cash in to increase my available credit.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/secured/

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/secured-card.html

How much should I spend per month on the card?  Quite frankly, our expenses are nowhere near the credit limits.

It seems that with this type of structure, I should wait a year or so to apply for the cash+ card.

I think all you need is the US Bank card. You don't need to waste another $25 per year on the WF card.

Just get one of the no fee for the first year secured US Bank cards.

Get the larges limit you can, at least $5,000.

Spend $500 per month on it and PIF each month.

After a year you should be good to go for the Cash+

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 11 of 22
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

Dustink, why do you advise against US Bank's basic card? because of the lack of rewards?

Message 12 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@jmcmillan wrote:

Dustink, why do you advise against US Bank's basic card? because of the lack of rewards?

Lack of rewards and the higher annual fee.

The other cards waive the annual fee for the first year and have an on going fee that is $10 less.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 22
HiLine
Blogger

I'd say go with US Bank if you want to ultimate get another card with them. Otherwise, Bank Of America's BankAmericard Cash Rewards Secured is IMO the best secured card overall. It automatically graduates after one year, gives you a 1-2-3 rewards structure and allows a credit line of up to $10,000.

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I give up now? ;-)  I signed up for the AeroMexico secured card.  Attempted to fund it for $5,000 and my decision "in seconds" was that they will send me the results in 7-10 business days.

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called US Bank.  Every secured card gets reviewed internally as they are waiting for the funds to transfer.  Once the funds are received, you get an approval. d'oh

I expressed my intention to the underwriter concerning graduating to a cash + card.  She said that graduation is possible but I had to keep the card for at least 12 but probably 18 months for them to consider graduation.  She advised that I spend a max 33% of my CL per month and pay it off.

Does anyone think opening up a wells fargo secured (10k CLI), or a BOA secured card ($5k) would increase my chances of getting a cash+ before 12 months is up?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 22
distantarray
Established Contributor

I would more focus on getting your scores up to be honest than a higher credit limit to help utility. Mainly because US bank cash+ is a super prime card, I haven't seen any approvals under 740+ on creditboards credit pull database, I think I saw one for 710 on whogavemecredit, but there's a lot of things that could factor in like a FAKO score of 710 and a FICO of 740+ since my FAKO won't go above 728 but had scores in 750's+ at the time.  They don't like ANY bad items on your report or inquires atleast 6 months before applying. They're just about as bad as PenFED to get in with. although if you have a platinum checking with them with 25k+ i'm sure they'll be more willing to work with you. If you can do that Cash+ will really be the ultimate card since 5% back on two choices and 2% and 1.5% for everything else (50% bonus on base reward with platinum checking)

I trust creditboards credit pull data base a lot more than whogavemecredit cause I suspect more than half of those are FAKO scores unless it's an Amex app or something similiar where they give you the Fico credit score they approved or declined you on.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. I will write GW letters to my college and open a account with us bank (in Ohio) I live in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the advice. Apparently I have a pretty big uphill battle.
Message 18 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I would more focus on getting your scores up to be honest than a higher credit limit to help utility. Mainly because US bank cash+ is a super prime card, I haven't seen any approvals under 740+ on creditboards credit pull database, I think I saw one for 710 on whogavemecredit, but there's a lot of things that could factor in like a FAKO score of 710 and a FICO of 740+ since my FAKO won't go above 728 but had scores in 750's+ at the time.  They don't like ANY bad items on your report or inquires atleast 6 months before applying. They're just about as bad as PenFED to get in with. although if you have a platinum checking with them with 25k+ i'm sure they'll be more willing to work with you. If you can do that Cash+ will really be the ultimate card since 5% back on two choices and 2% and 1.5% for everything else (50% bonus on base reward with platinum checking)

I trust creditboards credit pull data base a lot more than whogavemecredit cause I suspect more than half of those are FAKO scores unless it's an Amex app or something similiar where they give you the Fico credit score they approved or declined you on.

If you have a relationship with US Bank, your scores are almost irrelevant. I was set for approval within six months of getting a credit score, no idea what my score was but it was likely under 700. I instead went with the US Bank flexperks back in June, and now I am working on getting the Cash+ as well. I need to wait another 6 months to get the Cash+.

They aren't looking at my scores, they are looking at my relationship with them.

Message 19 of 22
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I will write GW letters to my college and open a account with us bank (in Ohio) I live in Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the advice. Apparently I have a pretty big uphill battle.

I think you are good to go Smiley Happy

CLI your basic US Bank card whenever you can. Then in a year when you are ready to get the Cash+, if they aren't quite ready to do it. Offer to take some of the credit from it and line swap to the new Cash+.

A straight up approval for the Cash+ is hard, but if you have a relationship and credit to shift around it is much easier.

Take care, and use that secured card well...It actually looks like a pretty good card.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.