Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured Card To Build Credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Secured Card To Build Credit?

Is a BoA secured card out of my reach now with credit scores of 552 and 575?

Message 11 of 17
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is a BoA secured card out of my reach now with credit scores of 552 and 575?

It is one of the harder to get.    Do you have a checking / savings account with them, that might help.   If you get your negative removed, that would help. 

If Capital one approves, I would wait for 6 months of positive history and try with BofA.   

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

No but I would def open up one if i were to get accepted for a card... I kind of want to have a bank account with the same company my credit card is with so I can just transfer the payment over every month. Do you have an idea of say a target credit score to have before I apply?

Message 13 of 17
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No but I would def open up one if i were to get accepted for a card... I kind of want to have a bank account with the same company my credit card is with so I can just transfer the payment over every month. Do you have an idea of say a target credit score to have before I apply?

If you like BofA, think long term.   Go ahead and open a checking/savings account.   Then give it a try after your negative is removed.   The card is designed for new credit so I think you have a shot.   If not now, maybe after you have some positive history.

I don't think scores are that meaningful when you have no open accounts.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well long term I'd actually like a chase card (I'm eventually going to have to open a checking account there, my girlfriend is a banker) but I see they dont have any secured cards and from my understanding they're pretty hard to attain. I'd also like an AMAX but im sure I'm kind of getting ahead of myself on both.

Message 15 of 17
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well long term I'd actually like a chase card (I'm eventually going to have to open a checking account there, my girlfriend is a banker) but I see they dont have any secured cards and from my understanding they're pretty hard to attain. I'd also like an AMAX but im sure I'm kind of getting ahead of myself on both.

Then I would wait and see what happens with Capital One.    If you have a clean report and 6 months of CC history, your options will greatly expand.

PS. Good excuse for opening a banking acoount, "My girlfriend made me"   Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully so. I really appreciate the help and yeah she controlls all my finances... I'd spend it all today if she didnt have a hold of it. I even put my savings in her account so I cant transfer it to my checking acct..

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.