Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Secured/Unsecured Card after BK

tag
torry590
Regular Contributor

Best Secured/Unsecured Card after BK

I have done some searching, did not find much. I am filing bankruptcy within the next month due to medical bills from an emergency surgery.

I want one that will graduate and grow with me.

Capital one will be included in my bankruptcy, wells fargo, us bank, hsbc.

So I was thinking Bank of America? Any advice am I missing any banks? My current bank does not offer a secured option.

Maybe a unsecured like Orchard?  or I hear Capital 1 is forgiving even with them being included in BK

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Secured/Unsecured Card after BK

Probably your best bet is a credit union credit card. They are very forgiving. I think you have to wait until your bk is done before seeking credit though don't you?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA is not BK friendly.

Cap1

Juniper/Barclays

HSBC/Household/Orchard

Credit Unions

Merrick

These all have BK friendly cards with no AF if you qualify

Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want unsecured, Cap1 will give you one shortly out of BK. I wouldn't bother with First Premier or Orchard Bank, but they will also. Otherwise, a secured card from a CU is your next best option. The nice thing about going the secured route through a CU is you can up the limit at any time with more cash (usually), and they tend to graduate.

Message 4 of 6
torry590
Regular Contributor

Correct I am applying after.

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget BOA. They will not approve their secured card post BK. I was approved for their sec cc before my filing and of course had to close it. I was denied in getting the same card post BK and again a year later, they cited BK. I thought I could grow with them having had a clean checking account for many years and two paid off mortgages but not to be. I stopped in the local branch this past April and talked with the VP of the branch who could not guide me. When I asked if my free checking account would me grandfathered in and be exempt from their new monthly fees starting in May 2011 he said no. So I closed my acct. Too bad, as I enjoyed my experience with BOA up until that point. Try PNC Bank if you have a branch near you. You must apply in person. You will get many offers post discharge, so be wise. Some of them have insanely high application fees, monthly maintenance fees, annual fees, and one time set up fees as high as $159. Shred them. Orchard will pursue you and they have a $300 limit and $59 annual fee. In years past I hated Capital One for their customer service and they used to not post your high limit which made a credit utilization calculation impossible. But, from reading everyone's posts in the last 18 months they seem happy with Cap One. I agree with the post advising to start over post discharge with a secured card from a Credit Union. They are about relationship banking and run a good clean game. Be sure they report to all three and ask if the card graduates unsecured. I think PNC does not.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.