cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Credit card

tag
broberta

Best Travel Credit card

Greetings! There is so much out there on different credit cards. I am looking for a travel credit card that has no annual fee and baggage free checkin. Any recommendations?.  I typically fly American.Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Travel Credit card

@broberta wrote:

Greetings! There is so much out there on different credit cards. I am looking for a travel credit card that has no annual fee and baggage free checkin. Any recommendations?.  I typically fly American.Thanks in advance!!

There are lots of travel credit cards so it is impossible to say which is the best one.  However, in terms of the criteria you list, your choices are very limited.  The only cards that provide free baggage are airline specific credit cards.  For American Airlines, you have two choices, the Citi AAdvantage credit card or the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator credit card.

The first has a $95 AF but that is waived the first year and the Aviator card has a $95 AF from the beginning.  You will find that if you search travel credit cards that most of the good to great ones have annual fees because of the travel benefits that they provide. Others might point out the Capital One Venture card ( has $59 AF that CO typically will waive each year)and while the initial bonus is decent, it really isn't a true travel credit card but a cash back card.

A lot really depends on how much you travel.  One time a year may not justify having a true travel credit card but if you fly frequently then there can be quite a few options.  Deciding on which one can require some research.  They range in typical AFs from $95 all the way to $550 a year but the higher end ones provide many benefits (not free baggage though) so for many of us they are worth the high AFs

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Irish. The best travel cards have an AF for a reason. I also agree that the AA card would be your best bet. One trip would probably take care of the AF in bag fee savings alone.

Message 3 of 13
Berk
Established Contributor

@broberta wrote:

That's kinda like asking for a Country Club membership with no annual dues and free swimming. 

Ain't gonna happen my friend.

Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Would Travelite qualify (though the bag savings would be limited to $100 per year) if it opened to new apps?

I don't know the card well, and could easily be mistaken.

Given the record of retention offers on Aviator Red, there is a reasonable chance that could effectively have a $0 AF.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@broberta wrote:

There are lots of travel credit cards so it is impossible to say which is the best one.  However, in terms of the criteria you list, your choices are very limited.  The only cards that provide free baggage are airline specific credit cards.  For American Airlines, you have two choices, the Citi AAdvantage credit card or the Barclays AAdvantage Aviator credit card.

The first has a $95 AF but that is waived the first year and the Aviator card has a $95 AF from the beginning.  You will find that if you search travel credit cards that most of the good to great ones have annual fees because of the travel benefits that they provide. Others might point out the Capital One Venture card ( has $95 AF that CO typically will waive each year)and while the initial bonus is decent, it really isn't a true travel credit card but a cash back card.

A lot really depends on how much you travel.  One time a year may not justify having a true travel credit card but if you fly frequently then there can be quite a few options.  Deciding on which one can require some research.  They range in typical AFs from $95 all the way to $550 a year but the higher end ones provide many benefits (not free baggage though) so for many of us they are worth the high AFs

Good advice, Irish, but, just to clarify, the Venture card has a $59 annual fee.

Message 6 of 13
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I would go with the BC Aviator. The current bonus of 50k miles is a good deal if u use AA and will more than pay for the AF

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@broberta wrote:

The first has a $95 AF but that is waived the first year and the Aviator card has a $95 AF from the beginning.  You will find that if you search travel credit cards that most of the good to great ones have annual fees because of the travel benefits that they provide. Others might point out the Capital One Venture card ( has $95 AF that CO typically will waive each year)and while the initial bonus is decent, it really isn't a true travel credit card but a cash back card.

Good advice, Irish, but, just to clarify, the Venture card has a $59 annual fee.

Thanks for the correction.  I had $95 on my brain

Message 8 of 13
creditfan
Established Contributor

@broberta wrote:

no baggage fee I always think of southwest. If you think sw flight is an option their airline cards have annual bonus points that can help reduce your AF fee of the card

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know that much about travel cards at all yet but Amex just tryed to get me to app for a gold delta skymiles, I didn't even though it comes with 60000 miles 0 anual fee the firt year then like most 95 after, the the benefits sound amazing coming from the csr

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.