cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Hack Credit Card (600's Credit Score)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Best Travel Hack Credit Card (600's Credit Score)

@NRB525 wrote:

The concern about "earning enough rewards to make it worth your while" only really applies to cards with an annual fee. In those cases, the annual fee sucks the life out of the points earnings, and yes, that's a direct drawdown of any rewards earnings, often more than the rewards earnings.

Think it also depends on the person and the card.   Getting say 30K AA miles, when you have no plans for a domestic trip on AA, isn't particularly worthwhile, the app and the spend might have been better spend on say a pure cashback card.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

Hack/ Hacking has got to be the most overused word I see.....except for the word viral.

Hack the planet!!!

2012-08-Hack-the-Planet.jpg

Message 12 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@DrZoidberg wrote:

Hack/ Hacking has got to be the most overused word I see.....except for the word viral.

+1. I wouldn't say it's the most overused, but its definitely up there for me.

The only time I hear people use the term is when non-experienced travellers try to sound knowledable to those who know even less than themselves. I have never ever seen one road warrior say to another "**bleep** let me show you this great new travel hack!"

Hearing that term just makes me want to face-palm. It's like the blind leading the blind.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

New face-palm hack. Use fist! It works for me...
Message 14 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

@DrZoidberg wrote:

+1. I wouldn't say it's the most overused, but its definitely up there for me.

The only time I hear people use the term is when non-experienced travellers try to sound knowledable to those who know even less than themselves. I have never ever seen one road warrior say to another "**bleep** let me show you this great new travel hack!"

Hearing that term just makes me want to face-palm. It's like the blind leading the blind.

So, what is your suggestion for an improved search term to find information about getting good travel rewards? And mind, this term must be in common use so that the best websites with the most relevant information turn up?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 15 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Point master. Like a pokemon master, but for points. Lol
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Google. 

The doors are shut if you're under 680.  this I know as I froth and plan like an evil genius for an airline card.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I traveled for my last job 90% of the time for 2 1/2 years and I've never heard the term travel hack, but it's A-OK in my book if you use it OP Smiley Wink. I used to say stupid patronizing things about people who didn't "know" how to travel properly (roll my eyes when they had a lot of stuff in their pockets, took bags that were overpacked, didn't know not too slowly walk in the middle of the the airport while I'm trying to rush to my next plane, tried to take their bag on that was way to big for overhead space, etc etc). But now I just realize most people don't travel that often and so how would they know all those things. I think it's highly condescending and shows someone's level of extreme self importance when they get annoyed by something someone else does when it doesn't effect them at all. So freaking BOUGIE as my sis would say. Let me chime into your thread to not answer you question but to make sure I comment on how annoyed I am that you are obviously less superior than me.  Narcisstic.

To answer your question, as others have mentioned, scores need to be a little higher for a good travel card. NFCU has the flagship that MAY pass (although I haven't seen it on that low of scores on credit pulls database). But you have to be a member. Get some nice rewards cards, garden and then set is as your next 6 month goal. Good luck OP Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

So I have to face the reality and raise my scores. Should be no problem.

BUT! I came across something yesterday while looking for Comenity bank Credit Cards.

MyPoints has a credit card

Now I know this is not a travel card, and I wont get a bonus, but if I am going to be paying balances down anyways...

Why not accumulate points in the mean time. The sooner the better, right?

Plus no hard inquiry if I do this shopping cart trick...

Message 19 of 20
LShan82
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all of the good information in here! 

Current Scores 11/2016:Equifax 8: 688 TransU 8: 675 Xperian 8: 674 Cards: Penfed Promise Visa Barclay Reward MasterCard American Express Blue Cash Rewards Nordstrom
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.