Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Travel Rewards

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best Travel Rewards

@lovingmommyof3

Will your travel be regional, national, or international?

That may make a difference as some airlines don't fly internationally... if its international travel, you have to look at foreign transaction fees being waived, or else those fees add up!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 17
alovingmommyof3
Valued Member

My travelnwill be domestic for the next few years. 

I doubt I would ever stay at Starwood. In the end their cost with and without points/miles will be too high.

Message 12 of 17
alovingmommyof3
Valued Member

@Open123 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Which hotels are in the SPG network?  I like staying at Hamptons due to the fluffy mattresses, but I hate the Hilton Garden Inns due to the memory foam mattress. I hate memory foam. Give me fluffly anyday.   I think one day I'll be getting the HHonors card

The Hilton has some nice hotels (goto spg.com and they'll list all their hotels), but the points aren't as valuable as SPG points, which are some of the best and most flexibile of any rewards program.  When used as "cash + points" the cost of SPG rooms is a much better value than HHonors.

Also, I've found most Hiltons with the free breakfast thing accrue too large a crowd for my taste.  When travelling, I prefer a place that's less boisterours.

For the OP, I think given the requirements, first annual feel waived are the best options.  I'd go with the following:

1.  Airline card - Chase UA or Southwest - Both 50k bonus miles

2.  Wait for Amex PR Gold with sign up bonus and first year fee waived

3.  SPG - first year fee waived, and 10k bonus with 15k after spending 5k in 6 months

4.  HHonors or Chase Hyatt/Mariott

5.  Chase CSP  with first year fee waved and 40k bonus

I'd focus on cards with annual fee waived.  Currently, there's no reason to pay an annual fee for the first year.

PS - In my view, SPG hotels aren't that high end, especially when they have so many Sheratons.  Sure, there are a few category 6 and 7s, but category 4 (cash + points) will always offer the best value.

If spg isn't that high end then maybe they are an option. I have not figured out all abbreviations on here. What is CSP?
Message 13 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@alovingmommyof3 wrote:
If spg isn't that high end then maybe they are an option. I have not figured out all abbreviations on here. What is CSP?

Sorry, Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is in my view, probably the best general travels card.

To give you an idea on SPG.  For a category 4 hotel (Sheratons), you pay $60 + 4,000 SPG points for a room.  This is regardless of the price anywhere in the world.  For instance, the Sherton in Singapore charges $385 per night (the SPG sites guarantees lowest price, and if you find it lower, they'll either make up the difference, upgrade to a suite, or give you 5,000 points), but since it's a category 4, the room can be had for 4,000 pts + $60.  In the US, Sheratons are listed anywhere from $150 - $225, and you can book any of them for 4k pts + $60.  Some are excluded, but stick to the ones where you have this offer.  Unlike other programs, when you use points, they count as a stay towards Gold status which confers free wifi, amongst other little perks you might find valuable.  With the intial 25k points, you can stay 6 nights at $60/night in a category 4.  I'm not sure where you'll find a more cost effective rate than $60/night.

This is a way better value than with HHonors and most other hotel programs.  It isn't obvious, but the SPG card is Amex's best product, and probably offers the best rewards ratio of any card out there today when used properly.

Message 14 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Open123 wrote:

@alovingmommyof3 wrote:

Sorry, Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is in my view, probably the best general travels card.

To give you an idea on SPG.  For a category 4 hotel (Sheratons), you pay $60 + 4,000 SPG points for a room.  This is regardless of the price anywhere in the world.  For instance, the Sherton in Singapore charges $385 per night (the SPG sites guarantees lowest price, and if you find it lower, they'll either make up the difference, upgrade to a suite, or give you 5,000 points), but since it's a category 4, the room can be had for 4,000 pts + $60.  In the US, Sheratons are listed anywhere from $150 - $225, and you can book any of them for 4k pts + $60.  Some are excluded, but stick to the ones where you have this offer.  Unlike other programs, when you use points, they count as a stay towards Gold status which confers free wifi, amongst other little perks you might find valuable.  With the intial 25k points, you can stay 6 nights at $60/night in a category 4.  I'm not sure where you'll find a more cost effective rate than $60/night.

This is a way better value than with HHonors and most other hotel programs.  It isn't obvious, but the SPG card is Amex's best product, and probably offers the best rewards ratio of any card out there today when used properly.

Oh wow, that seems like an awesome deal... the Sheratons are really nice hotels as well... You don't have to worry about kids running up and down the hall

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 17
alovingmommyof3
Valued Member

Now I just have to wait to apply.  It has been awhile since I appleid with Citi and Amex so those I can apply for, but I can't apply for Chase.  But I don't know how long I have to wait if I just applied last week.

Thanks for all the advice.

Message 16 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

Oh wow, that seems like an awesome deal... the Sheratons are really nice hotels as well... You don't have to worry about kids running up and down the hall

Right, especially with the sign up bonus points.

In the past, to receive the 15k bonus, one had to spend $15k in 6 months, which has been reduced to a more manageable $5k in 6 months.  Racking up points by spending $1/point is difficult, but the sign up bonus will make things much easier.

For instance, in your case, if you get the card, you receive a 10k bonus.  Refer your fiance, and you'll receive an additional 5k, and he'll receive 10k.  If you both receive the 15k (spend $5k in 6 months), that's an additional 30k.  Since you're the same household, SPG points can be freely exchanged without penalty.

That's about 55 - 60k SPG points which can be used for tons of points + cash redemptions, not to mention also the 25% bonus to many frequent flyer mile programs. With first year fee waived, I don't know why anyone wouldn't app for the cards and accumulate the points as described above.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.