Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Visa

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best Visa

Questions to ask yourself to get a good answer:

Do you travel a lot? Do you have a particular hotel chain or airline you want to earn points for? Would you rather have points that have flexible redemption options? Do you just want cashback? Do you spend a lot on groceries, gas, Amazon, restaurants?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Noticed the Military Star.  Are you still in service or retired (as opposed to veteran)?

I noticed the STAR card too.  And if you are military and are often stationed in foreign countries, you should get a Visa that you can use there without any fees.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, both my spouse and I are currently serving.

Today in the mail we got a bofa visa offer and a citi visa. I don't really like my Hdepot card so I don't want citi.
Message 13 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Look at State Department Federal Credit Union too.  Anyone can join and their visa is awesome, especially for someone being stationed overseas.

Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

awesome will do!

what about nfcu or usaa, apparently theyre great about credit.

i guess we bank with the worst military bank, they dont have anything.

Message 15 of 21
swpopham
Established Contributor

Nfcu is about the only way to go!
"As long as the music is playing, you've got to get up and dance," he said. "We're still dancing."---Prince CEO Citi Bank

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the "gotta have it" scale". ~Zig Ziglar
Message 16 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

USAA is my favorite bank, mostly because of the accessibility and all-encompasing website, which offers everything I need and makes transactions so easy.  Yes they will give you a good card.

NFCU gives out high credit limits and I only joined with $5 so I could open a credit card.  They have good 24/7 customer service, but I still prefer USAA for my regular banking accounts.  NFCU will give you a good card too.

As far as foreign travel, BoA Travel Rewards and SDFCU are the best cards with $0 annual fee and 0% foreign transaction fee that also include an EMV chip (like on your CAC card) which can be used in foreign unmanned terminals.  SDFCU allows PIN transactions as well and will give a superior APR if you ever come accross a point in time where you need to carry a balance.

PenFed Platinum Rewards is a great all-around card with travel benefits too, although without the benefits of the EMV chip.  This is also a difficult card to get approved for as the CU is very picky about who they approve.

Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

how long after getting a membership until we can apply for credit?

Message 18 of 21
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

You can apply immediately at any of the credit unions I mentioned.... I would assume they all allow you to apply immediately.  If NFCU, you could call them right now.

Message 19 of 21
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, both my spouse and I are currently serving.

Today in the mail we got a bofa visa offer and a citi visa. I don't really like my Hdepot card so I don't want citi.

both of you should join nfcu whether or not you want their credit card..  OnLy active and retires with pension are eligible to join so take advantage while you can.  they are ridiculously generous with credit lines but their rewards are basically average.  A poster said earlier said ask yourself what you are looking for.  That is great advice.  If you tell us what rewards or other features you are looking for, we will have some good recommendations.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.