cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Buy Clothes With a Credit Card?

tag
atd1970
Regular Contributor

Best Way to Buy Clothes With a Credit Card?

K Guys,

Here is the deal. I have been working jobs all of my life, and clothes were not an issue. I just wore cheap clothes, and threw them away when the grease would no longer wash out. So, anyway, I went back to school (while working) and got a few Degrees (a couple of BA, and a couple of MA, Ph.D in progress).

I decided to look for a new job. I got offered some immediately. However, I don't dress like the people in that environment.

Should I buy with a Store Card, get the discount and then BT to Citi, Barclay, Chase, or Discover (i have 18 month 0% on all these cards).

Or should I just bypass the whole Store Card thing?

I need alot of clothes LOL

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Best Way to Buy Clothes With a Credit Card?

Bypass the store cards, low limits, high interest rates, and don't you get rewards on the other cards!
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 11
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Would you mind sharing what cards you currently have? . If you have either discover or chase you can use their shopping portal for 5-10% cash back or maybe more depending on which stores ( that surely beats applying for store cards you may only use a few times )

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 3 of 11
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:

Would you mind sharing what cards you currently have? . If you have either discover or chase you can use their shopping portal for 5-10% cash back or maybe more depending on which stores ( that surely beats applying for store cards you may only use a few times )

Ops forget the questions on what cards you have, I would recommend you use your discover or chase.. Since you get the most cash back with 4th quarter bonus and using the online shopping portals for either discover or chase.

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 4 of 11
skigirl916
Established Contributor

I can't tell your gender, but I have made a lot of great use of The Limited card - long since upgraded to the Couture Card thanks to spending - and have enjoyed its benefits, including special discounts, free hemming and shipping.  It's how I budget my wardrobe as well, I just make sure I'm always below 30% on that card.  It's one of only a couple that ever carry a balance. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also depends on what stores you are shopping at. Sometimes 20% at macys with use your card would be a much better deal. There is a way to get around that and use your other 0% card and still get the macys discount. You can simply ring up the transaction and ask the employee to "suspend" the transaction. If the promo invoves a use your card discount purchase a macys gift card with your 0% APR credit card for the amount after the discount and it can be used to pay for your order and receive macys card disocunt

(I was a Macys employee and my managers encouraged this for people who complained about interest fees or could not be approved for a Macys account)

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

But don't assume those portals have the best rates, check with an engine like www.cashbackmonitor.com 

Message 7 of 11
atd1970
Regular Contributor

I have many cards LOL

The only decent card for a Store Card seems to be Kohls.

Here is the list:

Store Cards.

Old Navy- $1000

American Eagle- $1000

Walmart- $2000

Sams-$2000

Macy--$2000

JCrew- $7500

Credit Cards:

Walmart- $2000 (Discover)

Sams- $2000(MC)

Citi- $2000 (Diamond)

Chase Freedom- $10,000

SDFCU- $250 (secured)

Barclay- Rewards $2000, Apple $1600, NFL $10,000

Capital One- Sony $2000, Union $10000

Message 8 of 11
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@atd1970 wrote:

K Guys,

Here is the deal. I have been working jobs all of my life, and clothes were not an issue. I just wore cheap clothes, and threw them away when the grease would no longer wash out. So, anyway, I went back to school (while working) and got a few Degrees (a couple of BA, and a couple of MA, Ph.D in progress).

I decided to look for a new job. I got offered some immediately. However, I don't dress like the people in that environment.

Should I buy with a Store Card, get the discount and then BT to Citi, Barclay, Chase, or Discover (i have 18 month 0% on all these cards).

Or should I just bypass the whole Store Card thing?

I need alot of clothes LOL

Really, the only good way to use store cards is to treat them like a charge card you have to pay in full each month. I have store cards because some of them are really beneficial. Some give free shipping, some give extra coupons, some give exclusive sales and so on. Now, if you know it's going to take a couple months to pay off, then perhaps you could use a card like Slate to balance transfer. I believe Chase Slate doesn't charge a fee for balance transfer. If you use a card that charges a fee, then you may be no further ahead. Obviously, check into the benefits of a card before applying as some of them are utter junk where all you get is the intial 10% discount on your first purchase and then nothing else.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 9 of 11
someg33k
Established Contributor

I make good money but hate spending it on clothing. I buy a few new clothes here and there from J-Crew and express with my cards. I have gotten a lot of really nice things that look brand new from a Goodwill close by. The uber wealthy around here dump near brand new high end brands there constantly and it seems to just sit around, compared to crap from say Walmart or Target that's there.

Sorry to derail the topic there...

I have a J-Crew card that I do use frequently BUT I wait for the card member only super coupons / checkout codes. I have gotten some great deals that way that I otherwise could not have gotten.  Started out with a $300.00 limit less than a year ago and now up to $4250.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.