Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Pay rent with a Credit Card

tag
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Best Way to Pay rent with a Credit Card

For the record I charged $4000 through Square using my own name & bank with various credit cards in 2013. Average swipe was $800. It allowed me to reach some pretty high spend requirements for sign up bonuses. I never had a single issue. My business also puts over $100,000 a year through Square with no issues. I charge the customer the merchant fee so I don't worry about the 2.75%.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 31 of 45
TheSpeculator
Regular Contributor

Use the OneVanilla backed by Bancorp. Says in the fine print. I always call to reset the pin. Option 8 to be exact. When swiping at the wonderful amazing Walmart money center, I enter the last four of the card number as the pin. Works every time.
__
Freedom, Sapphire, Slate - HHonors, PRG, BCE - Cap1 Platinum - Discover IT - Tiffany & Co - Jared - Best Buy Citi -
Message 32 of 45
MadDscientist

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/04/06/gift-card-pin-number/

Basically what everybody else was saying.

I might I have to try one of those method because my apartment used to charge 3.75 per discover transaction and $33 per visa, but now its a 6.75% fee.

√Wells Fargo college cashback [$800]
√Discover it [$3.5k]

√Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.
Message 33 of 45
vayub4
Regular Contributor

I would have to give blue bird a try and see how that turns out
Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 34 of 45
MadDscientist

Can you use bluebird to buy money orders at walmart

√Wells Fargo college cashback [$800]
√Discover it [$3.5k]

√Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.
Message 35 of 45
vayub4
Regular Contributor

I am believing you can... If you can use blubird to obtain cash from the ATM I see no reason why you can't purchase money order with it
Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 36 of 45
39Xelor
Established Member

Paying rent on your CC sounds smart for the rewards (depending on the situation) but it also sounds kind of dangerous in terms of lending. If a lender (lets just say Amex for example) sees that you are putting your rent on your CC, do you think that may send a red flag to them that you may be in a financial bind due to the fact that instead of paying your rent with check or cash you're charging it? I used Amex as an example because of the whole "FR" situation.. some people have mentioned that Amex will FR you if they see any suspicious merchants on the card.. AKA a lawyer.. or in my opinion maybe an apartment complex for rent? In NO WAY do I have any evidence to back this theory up! I'm just stating what would appear to be a red flag if i were a lender! Just trying to keep everybody safe in the world of credit! Also, like other have stated before, if you have nothing hide then an FR isnt a big deal.. BUT i'm sure its still a pain in the butt that we would all like to avoid!

Whats In My Wallet? A Whole Lotta' Awesomeness!
Message 37 of 45
TRC2k13
Regular Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

Paying rent on your CC sounds smart for the rewards (depending on the situation) but it also sounds kind of dangerous in terms of lending. If a lender (lets just say Amex for example) sees that you are putting your rent on your CC, do you think that may send a red flag to them that you may be in a financial bind due to the fact that instead of paying your rent with check or cash you're charging it? I used Amex as an example because of the whole "FR" situation.. some people have mentioned that Amex will FR you if they see any suspicious merchants on the card.. AKA a lawyer.. or in my opinion maybe an apartment complex for rent? In NO WAY do I have any evidence to back this theory up! I'm just stating what would appear to be a red flag if i were a lender! Just trying to keep everybody safe in the world of credit! Also, like other have stated before, if you have nothing hide then an FR isnt a big deal.. BUT i'm sure its still a pain in the butt that we would all like to avoid!

Wouldn't surprise me...  as I said earlier it would take me 41 years of paying my rent with my CC to accumulate enough reward points to buy a big screen TV.

Juuuuuusssssssstttttttttttt a little too long for me to bother with it...

Message 38 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@39Xelor wrote:

Well, you are not paying your rent with your CC in any visible way.    If you are using Bluebird for example, you are paying by check, just from a different bank account.   If you are trying to meet minimum spend, and use ChargeSmart,/Williamspaid etc then you are purchasing "stuff' from a vendor, and while those are guessable, it could be any sort of loan payment,   So I don't think this is a real concern, at least as compared to some issuers being "concerned" about the level of your charges at say a drug store to fund the bluebird.

Message 39 of 45
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TRC2k13 wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me...  as I said earlier it would take me 41 years of paying my rent with my CC to accumulate enough reward points to buy a big screen TV.

Juuuuuusssssssstttttttttttt a little too long for me to bother with it...

Set get a better card, rent a more expensive place, and downgrade to a 50 inch!  That might only take 25 years.

But exactly the same calculation can be used as a reason not to use reward cards at all.   Presumably, if you have reward cards, you are buying other things with them, and the point about paying rent is it merely is an extra source of rewards on top of the other ones, that currently you do not get any rewards for.

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.