Regular Contributor
Soviyana

Best Way to "Prune the Tree?"

Hi everyone, I'm Sovi -- new here, but have been reading lots on the boards...what a great resource!

I've a question:  I just went on a bit of an app spree after I got my cc balances down to nearly zero and my scores up to the low -mid 700's...    I was approved for a $7000 CL with Citi and a $4800 CL with AMEX.   I've one other card at 5000 CL, and another at $4000 and $3000 respectively.  All my others are low limits ($1500 or less).

Background:

I have about 35 credit card accounts listed, of which I used about 3.  Many of these accounts are low CL's, but with no fee.

According to some of the myFico explanations, I have so many accounts it's hurting my score...but according to people like Suze Orman and others...they say never close old accounts....

If I *do* want to close some, which is the best way to do it?  A whole bunch all at once (would be easier....) and take the hit all at one time, or.... spread it out? 

Based on what I'm reading here, I probably sould stop my app spree, but it was emotionally nice to get the higher credit limits.

By the way, my only balance is $300 on one card (0% interest for the next 3 mo) and $1700 on a Best Buy card that will be paid off before the 0% interest expires next year.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Sovi
Sovi

>>>Get Credit when you don't need it, so you have it when you do.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+