Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

Job prospect progressing and I need to look into this. What is the best airline cc for frequent trips from Houston to Nola? Only airline card I have right now is delta.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

United from Bush

Southwest from Hobby

I don't think any others fly direct.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Well since I would be doing international travel if I take the job, I think United would probably be the better option.  Is Chase the only underwritter for that card?

Message 3 of 19
Ron1
Super Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Well since I would be doing international travel if I take the job, I think United would probably be the better option.  Is Chase the only underwritter for that card?

Yes.

Ron.

Message 4 of 19
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Yes.

Ron.

+1

You have the option of the MileagePlus Explorer ($95 AF) or MileagePlus Club ($395 AF) card.  I believe there are 50K mile bonuses out there somewhere for the Explorer card and first year free on the Club card.    

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 5 of 19
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
Job prospect progressing and I need to look into this. What is the best airline cc for frequent trips from Houston to Nola? Only airline card I have right now is delta.

I have made that flight a couple times. I have always had top notch flights on united (continental before the merge obviously) and I keep getting pre approvals in the mail for the united card. It doesnt seem half bad. I like to fly out of hobby better because I dont have to mess with going all the way up on 45, but the way my airfare has been the past 3-4 flights I have taken it was cheaper just to fly out of bush. United seems to have some competative rates lately.

Message 6 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer Smiley Happy )

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant Smiley Happy ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)

Message 7 of 19
aplast
Regular Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer Smiley Happy )

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant Smiley Happy ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)

nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved Smiley Happy ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!

Message 8 of 19
nickn86
Contributor

@aplast wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved Smiley Happy ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!

The current United offer is really 55k miles (50,000 within 1,000 spend in 3 months + 5k for adding authorized user) + $50 statement credit.  You can find it by searching for a flight on United.com and then clicking on an ad for an offer.  You need fresh United miles in your account, but you can add those very easily in various ways.  The easiest is by creating a bckstgr.com account and then linking a FB/Twitter/Four Square account to it.  Combining that signup bonus with the CSP nets you around 100,000 miles if you transfer the UR points.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 9 of 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Until I read the part about the International flights.  I was going to suggest a PPL.  Fly your own plane.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.