Reply
Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,857
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

Job prospect progressing and I need to look into this. What is the best airline cc for frequent trips from Houston to Nola? Only airline card I have right now is delta.


Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
visorboy1974
Posts: 1,132
Registered: ‎05-17-2010
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

United from Bush

Southwest from Hobby

 

I don't think any others fly direct.  

Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,857
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

Well since I would be doing international travel if I take the job, I think United would probably be the better option.  Is Chase the only underwritter for that card?



Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
Ron1
Posts: 5,476
Registered: ‎05-23-2009
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights


Duncanrr wrote:

Well since I would be doing international travel if I take the job, I think United would probably be the better option.  Is Chase the only underwritter for that card?


Yes.

 

Ron.

Valued Contributor
visorboy1974
Posts: 1,132
Registered: ‎05-17-2010
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights


Ron1 wrote:

Duncanrr wrote:

Well since I would be doing international travel if I take the job, I think United would probably be the better option.  Is Chase the only underwritter for that card?


Yes.

 

Ron.


+1

 

You have the option of the MileagePlus Explorer ($95 AF) or MileagePlus Club ($395 AF) card.  I believe there are 50K mile bonuses out there somewhere for the Explorer card and first year free on the Club card.    

Regular Contributor
aplast
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎06-20-2012
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights


Duncanrr wrote:
Job prospect progressing and I need to look into this. What is the best airline cc for frequent trips from Houston to Nola? Only airline card I have right now is delta.

I have made that flight a couple times. I have always had top notch flights on united (continental before the merge obviously) and I keep getting pre approvals in the mail for the united card. It doesnt seem half bad. I like to fly out of hobby better because I dont have to mess with going all the way up on 45, but the way my airfare has been the past 3-4 flights I have taken it was cheaper just to fly out of bush. United seems to have some competative rates lately.

American Express Green - NPSL, Sams Club Discover - 4000, Paypal Smart Connect - 4000, Capital One - 3500, Barclaycard Visa - 2500, Walmart - 1500, Discover IT - 1000, Ashley Furniture Home Store - 1000, Care Credit - 1000.
Valued Contributor
Duncanrr
Posts: 2,857
Registered: ‎06-08-2012
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer :smileyhappy: )

 

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant :smileyhappy: ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)



Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 710 TU 727 EX 704 CK 719(FAKO-EX 697, EQ 697, TU 697)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
aplast
Posts: 150
Registered: ‎06-20-2012
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights


Duncanrr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer :smileyhappy: )

 

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant :smileyhappy: ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)


nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved :smileyhappy: ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!

American Express Green - NPSL, Sams Club Discover - 4000, Paypal Smart Connect - 4000, Capital One - 3500, Barclaycard Visa - 2500, Walmart - 1500, Discover IT - 1000, Ashley Furniture Home Store - 1000, Care Credit - 1000.
Contributor
nickn86
Posts: 130
Registered: ‎11-26-2012
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

[ Edited ]

aplast wrote:

Duncanrr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer :smileyhappy: )

 

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant :smileyhappy: ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)


nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved :smileyhappy: ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!



The current United offer is really 55k miles (50,000 within 1,000 spend in 3 months + 5k for adding authorized user) + $50 statement credit.  You can find it by searching for a flight on United.com and then clicking on an ad for an offer.  You need fresh United miles in your account, but you can add those very easily in various ways.  The easiest is by creating a bckstgr.com account and then linking a FB/Twitter/Four Square account to it.  Combining that signup bonus with the CSP nets you around 100,000 miles if you transfer the UR points.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Moderator
Shogun
Posts: 12,952
Registered: ‎04-15-2011
0

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

Until I read the part about the International flights.  I was going to suggest a PPL.  Fly your own plane.  :smileyhappy:


Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}