Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best airline miles cards - not the ones backed by airlines

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Best airline miles cards - not the ones backed by airlines

Story on flyertalk and thought I would pass it along.

http://www.frequentflier.com/blog/study-airline-credit-cards-no-longer-the-most-rewarding/

IdeaWorks_CreditCardRewards-500x281.png

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
djrez4
Established Contributor

Re: Best airline miles cards - not the ones backed by airlines

Two thoughts and a snarky comment:

1) They chose the wrong cards to compare.  If you're going to compare the Blue Sky and Arrival cards, Discover Miles and Cap One Venture should be on there.  Redeeming points for statement credit against travel purchased is completely different than transferring points directly to a travel operator.  Might as well throw a Flex Perks card in there, too.

2) They compare point accrual rates, which I guess is somewhat valid.  However, they should have included redemption rates as well.  Redemption value is a better measure of reward rate, even if it is more highly variable.  If I can redeem UR points for 3 cents of value and Barclay miles for only 1.5 cents of value, it doesn't matter that I accrue Barclay miles 1.5 times faster.

3) J.P. Morgan was a funny looking dude.

Message 2 of 5
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

1) They chose the wrong cards to compare.  If you're going to compare the Blue Sky and Arrival cards, Discover Miles and Cap One Venture should be on there.  Redeeming points for statement credit against travel purchased is completely different than transferring points directly to a travel operator.  Might as well throw a Flex Perks card in there, too.

2) They compare point accrual rates, which I guess is somewhat valid.  However, they should have included redemption rates as well.  Redemption value is a better measure of reward rate, even if it is more highly variable.  If I can redeem UR points for 3 cents of value and Barclay miles for only 1.5 cents of value, it doesn't matter that I accrue Barclay miles 1.5 times faster.

+1 this is a pretty weird group of cards to compare.

I have both the CSP and the Amex Delta.  There are so many different ways to use the rewards on each there is no way to compart them numerically

I have gotten 3 cents per dollar spent on some reward tickets and less than 1 cent on others using the Delta, I know I'm going to get at least 1.25 or 2.50 cents per dollar spent plus 7% on the CSP and could get even more transfering to travel partners

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 3 of 5
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

This group of cards is random.  I don't put much weight on this chart. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 4 of 5
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

@djrez4 wrote:

My apologies for hijacking the thread, but I noticed that you have an Ink Bold, djrez4, in your alignment of cards. I'm in the process of starting a buisness, and I curious as to why did you choose the ink bold over the ink cash?

Thanks,

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.