Amex PRG is the way to go, IMO. 

With the new changes that became effective June 1st, 2015, you get:

3x MR on Flights

2x MR on Gas

2x MR on Groceries

2x MR on Restaurants

1x MR everything else.

0% FTF <- big change

While the annual fee is $175, you also get a $100 voucher each year to apply against airline fees/costs. So if you travel even somewhat regularly by plane, then Amex PRG is a very good deal. The $100 voucher essentially drops it down to $75 AF, thus beating even the CSP.

PRG definitely has a lucrative rewards structure now, especially with 2x on restaurants which I absolutely love. 

The Starwood is nice because Starwood points, arguably, have the greatest value. However, it is extremely difficult to earn those points as opposed to the PRG. So unless you travel internationally and/or stay at Starwood member hotels all the time, you're going to have a hard time racking up points in the same way you can on the PRG.

So since your question is about the best amex for points earning, I think it definitely has to be the PRG.

Some of the information you provided here was incorrent and I don't want it to mislead the OP. The annual fee was increased to $195 when they added the new features. Also, you do not recieve a voucher for $100 each year, it can only be used towards 'incidental fees'.

This was pulled from their website:

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees".

The credits are automatically applied to the card after these extra purchases so I would only consider it useful if you want to use it towards things like baggage fees etc. It cannot be used to airline tickets but Amex have been known to credit for airline gift cards.  Although it is in their terms they it doesn't qualify, so it is upto the agent if they approve it.

I would only recommend if you travel quite a bit. I regret opening my Amex Green but will be replacing it with the PRG in the next month or two when I hit both my CSP and Freedom spending requirements. I am excited to utilize the $100 airline credit as I travel back to the UK once a year and domestically every now and then too so it will handle my in flight wifi costs, in flight food and also baggage costs.

Woops, my bad. Thank you for the correction on the AF. And you're right about the $100 waiver. However, people have successfully bought $100 in gift cards, directly from the airline, and Amex has reimbursed the cost. I successfully did it for Southwest. You just gotta make sure you select your specific airline on Amex's site beforehand. 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best amex for points earning ?!

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

3x MR on Flights

2x MR on Gas

2x MR on Groceries

2x MR on Restaurants

1x MR everything else.

0% FTF <- big change

While the annual fee is $175, you also get a $100 voucher each year to apply against airline fees/costs. So if you travel even somewhat regularly by plane, then Amex PRG is a very good deal. The $100 voucher essentially drops it down to $75 AF, thus beating even the CSP.

PRG definitely has a lucrative rewards structure now, especially with 2x on restaurants which I absolutely love. 

The Starwood is nice because Starwood points, arguably, have the greatest value. However, it is extremely difficult to earn those points as opposed to the PRG. So unless you travel internationally and/or stay at Starwood member hotels all the time, you're going to have a hard time racking up points in the same way you can on the PRG.

So since your question is about the best amex for points earning, I think it definitely has to be the PRG.

Some of the information you provided here was incorrent and I don't want it to mislead the OP. The annual fee was increased to $195 when they added the new features. Also, you do not recieve a voucher for $100 each year, it can only be used towards 'incidental fees'.

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees".

The credits are automatically applied to the card after these extra purchases so I would only consider it useful if you want to use it towards things like baggage fees etc. It cannot be used to airline tickets but Amex have been known to credit for airline gift cards.  Although it is in their terms they it doesn't qualify, so it is upto the agent if they approve it.

I would only recommend if you travel quite a bit. I regret opening my Amex Green but will be replacing it with the PRG in the next month or two when I hit both my CSP and Freedom spending requirements. I am excited to utilize the $100 airline credit as I travel back to the UK once a year and domestically every now and then too so it will handle my in flight wifi costs, in flight food and also baggage costs.

Woops, my bad. Thank you for the correction on the AF. And you're right about the $100 waiver. However, people have successfully bought $100 in gift cards, directly from the airline, and Amex has reimbursed the cost. I successfully did it for Southwest. You just gotta make sure you select your specific airline on Amex's site beforehand. 

I know, as I said, it's really up to Amex so I would not count on it! Chase for their Ritz card used to be the same way, granting airline gift card credit for their $300 annual travel credit. Both companies recently I have noticed are cutting down on this as it is obviously costing them money becayse everyone is doing it now. So chances are airline gift cards will be strictly a NO soon.

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Amex website for the PRG, it says the 50000 bonus may not be available to people who already have an Amex card. Also, it is a charge card, so you'll have to PIF each month.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

On the Amex website for the PRG, it says the 50000 bonus may not be available to people who already have an Amex card. Also, it is a charge card, so you'll have to PIF each month.

As long as you haven't had that card in under 24 months, the offer shown on the website will be available to you. I have done a lot of research on this already. Plus, for an extra precaution you could apply in incognito mode.

And yes, I hope the OP understands this. It does instill good money habits though, I think everyone should PIF if they have the option.

Message 14 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

3x MR on Flights

2x MR on Gas

2x MR on Groceries

2x MR on Restaurants

1x MR everything else.

0% FTF <- big change

I know, as I said, it's really up to Amex so I would not count on it! Chase for their Ritz card used to be the same way, granting airline gift card credit for their $300 annual travel credit. Both companies recently I have noticed are cutting down on this as it is obviously costing them money becayse everyone is doing it now. So chances are airline gift cards will be strictly a NO soon.

It's really too bad using the credit for a gift card is so iffy, otherwise I would ditch my green card in a heart beat and app for the PRG.  I don't travel often, but saving up airline gift cards for a few years for a nice trip would be sweet.  However it's not worth the risk for me, since if I ordered a gift card and it *wasn't* eligible, it would then be as if I had lost $200, which would be painful.

Looks like I'll have to just stick to my Green. Smiley Sad

Message 15 of 20
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mikelo22 wrote:

3x MR on Flights

2x MR on Gas

2x MR on Groceries

2x MR on Restaurants

1x MR everything else.

0% FTF <- big change

It's really too bad using the credit for a gift card is so iffy, otherwise I would ditch my green card in a heart beat and app for the PRG.  I don't travel often, but saving up airline gift cards for a few years for a nice trip would be sweet.  However it's not worth the risk for me, since if I ordered a gift card and it *wasn't* eligible, it would then be as if I had lost $200, which would be painful.

Looks like I'll have to just stick to my Green. Smiley Sad

To me PRG, EDP or ED is better than green card in every way . I mean ED> Green imo in almost every way. unless you really want a charge card for some reason. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As long as you haven't had that card in under 24 months, the offer shown on the website will be available to you. I have done a lot of research on this already. Plus, for an extra precaution you could apply in incognito mode.

And yes, I hope the OP understands this. It does instill good money habits though, I think everyone should PIF if they have the option.

Think you are getting Chase and Amex confused.. Chase is once in every 24 months.. Amex is once in a LIFETIME on their bonus offers of a particular card.   So Amex personal cards can not be churned unlike Chase every two year.  

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Think you are getting Chase and Amex confused.. Chase is once in every 24 months.. Amex is once in a LIFETIME on their bonus offers of a particular card.   So Amex personal cards can not be churned unlike Chase every two year.  

That's pretty brutal of them!

But thank you for correcting me, I was getting them mixed up.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two AmEx cards and I'm being courted for the 50k PRG offer. I've gotten two emails and a way-too-nice-and-shiny mailer (that's on my dining room table, that I WILL NOT USE). I think the operative word there is MAY not. 

I don't want to start with MR points, and I don't want/need any new cards, so I will resist. But it is a great card for some. 

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

They give that 'warning' all the time.  As long as you havent had that particular card before, you won't have any problems getting the bonus

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.