cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bet: Chase Slate or something else? (App Updates)

tag
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Best bet: Chase Slate or something else?

Well, I went ahead and app'd to distract myself after some bad news I had this weekend.

TU from here as of today 716 (Walmart last month showed 650ish)

EQ 702 as of 4/29

Util of 5% or less depending on what they pulled, 3 cards showing balances of <10% each.  I meant to get it down to two only, but forgot to cancel a recurring charge of $9.95 on one - oops lol.

AAoA 2.5 - 3 years 

2 derogs to fall off in the next year or so (one paid CO and one unpaid collection)

Citi Simplicity "prequal" with 21 month BT offer - Instant Approval for $2000

FNBO from "preapproval" letter - waiting for response

Chase Slate 15 month BT (no offer, just went for it with the hopes that my prior relationship with them would pay off big) - $2000 (so it didn't pay off big, but it's still good lol)

I'd really like to get the Citi limit upped since it's a 21 month offer, but from the looks of things, they're not too hot on instant CLIs.  Also a bit surprised about the Chase limit since they gave me $3000 last year with a worse profile than I have now, but I'm still happy overall.  Now I just have to wait and see what FNBO says!  

No matter what, the two new approvals will accomplish what we wanted - give me enough room to BT DH's debt at 0% so he can drop his util under 10% and apply for new cards with over a year of gardening time before househunting starts!  Woohoo!

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 11 of 24
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the approvals!  You might consider a recon on the Chase limit.  Explain that you want to do a 4000 BT.  Worst they could do is say no.  They're pretty good with recons.

Message 12 of 24
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

Congrats on the approvals!  You might consider a recon on the Chase limit.  Explain that you want to do a 4000 BT.  Worst they could do is say no.  They're pretty good with recons.

Thanks Koalablue,

Most people seem to say that they do another HP when you attempt a recon, even right after approval/activation, and very few seem to have any success from what I've read here.  I think I'll try anyway though... Would you say that it's better to do it immediately or to wait for the card?  

I'm not sure I'll go for another HP though.

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
Message 13 of 24
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I would try now, but if you don't want another HP, just tell them you don't want to be reconsidered if it means another HP.

Message 14 of 24
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Best bet: Chase Slate or something else? (App Updates)

Congrats on your approvals!

Message 15 of 24
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

I would try now, but if you don't want another HP, just tell them you don't want to be reconsidered if it means another HP.

Now I'm debating whether to call now or in the morning and which number to try.  Why are there always so many numbers? lol  App recon, credit analyst recon, executive office... I feel like Credit Analyst Recon sounds like the best one to start with.

ETA Thank you FocusedAndDetermined

Message 16 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

you can call chase recon to appeal that limit, but chances are it's another HP. If you can spare the inquiry, go for it. It's kinda a 50:50 chance since you have an unpaid collection and that usually is a big nono if its for a considerable sum of money.

I also just PM'ed you Citi's EO office. You can talk to them and see what they can do. Might be another HP. I'm not too sure on that. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 17 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats WTG

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 18 of 24
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Thanks MyJourney!

Also, Thank you Enharu!  I got you're PM and I'll give that a whirl with Citi.  

My unpaid collection is for $480, and will be gone next year.  It has "disputed by customer" in the notes from years ago as well, but I never had any luck actually getting it removed.  

I can honestly spare the HP because I don't plan to apply for anything for at least 15 months, so I might go for it with Chase and see if I can get anything out of them on the new Slate (or the old SW) card.  I do worry a bit that if I allow the additional HP and manual review that they'll change their mind completely because of that collection, but I think that's just me being paranoid lol.

Message 19 of 24
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Best bet: Chase Slate or something else? (App Updates)

I don't think you need to worry about any AA if they do a manual review. Worst case scenario they will deny you for any CLI. You will also most likely be asked to explain that collections during your call to recon.

You can also transfer CLs from your southwest card
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.