cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for a student with part-time income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best card for a student with part-time income?

See siggy for cards and scores. I'm looking for card #3 now... considering the Chase Amazon and the Cap1 Dining. My problem? I only work part-time.

Any recommendations? Looking for a V/MC and most of my CC spending is food (groceries and dining), gas, and Amazon. Not considering any CU's at the moment either.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Best card for a student with part-time income?

The Citi Double Cash is a solid third card to get, as you'll get unlimited 2% cash back on everything which is pretty good. If your goal at this point is just cash back, then also look into the American Express Blue Cash Everday/Preferred cards (latter comes with an annual fee; do the math to see whether you can recoup that AF given your spending practices in the groceries and gas categories).

Message 2 of 17
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

The Citi Double Cash is a solid third card to get, as you'll get unlimited 2% cash back on everything which is pretty good. If your goal at this point is just cash back, then also look into the American Express Blue Cash Everday/Preferred cards (latter comes with an annual fee; do the math to see whether you can recoup that AF given your spending practices in the groceries and gas categories).

Ditto this. Since you already have a flat 1.5% cash back card I'd go Citi DC for the 2% as long as you don't mind their reward structure for another MC/V card. Consider the AMEX BCE/BCP as well since you mentioned your spending on groceries/gas; getting 3%/6% back on groceries and 2%/3% on gas depending if you want to go the free or $95 yearly annual fee route.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's two I recommend:

1. BoA Cash Rewards: 3% back on gas, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else

2. CapOne Premier Dining: 3% back on restaurants, 2% on groceries, 1% everything else

If you open up and look at another Discover card the Discover IT Chrome is 2% back on restaurants and gas with a cash back match the first year. So that's really 4% back on restaurants and gas the first year. Plus they give you $20 each year your GPA is above a 3.0. They match that the first year too. 

Really if you get the two I first mentioned you'd be covered pretty well (minus Amazon). That's if you want more than one card right now. 

Message 4 of 17
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Bank of the West (Cashback - MC)  3% on groceries, dining, gas, fast-food

and 1% everything else

Limited to the following states:

Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota,

Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma,

Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I got the card, January and like it a lot.

I also think it is my nicest looking card (IMO)

It is ideal for those that want multiple category bonus, but don't want

to have a card for each category to earn an extra 1%.

A few things to know, but not a deal breaker for me.

1) If you are married, and reside in one of the following
     community property states:
     AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, or WI
     You must select the "joint" application type and
     include your spouse's information even if you are
     applying for individual credit. The on-line application
     will "HP" both you and your spouses credit report.
 ** Note to get around this you can "Apply by Phone" **

2) No online statements, they send paper statement.
    However they have a online page that shows the same current info as other banks

3) You can not move your statement date, it is the last day of the month.

4) You need to push payments from your bank or CU with
     your bill-pay service, or send a check. They do not have
     the normal account linking to pull your funds.

Message 5 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Young and hip why not go for the Marvel MastercardSmiley Wink 3% dining and it looks cool in your walletSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I would't really recommend the Double Cash as it doesn't have a sign-up bonus. With low income, it just doesn't make sense as you would need to put 30000$ in spend for the cash back from the DC to exceed the sign up bonus and cashback of something like the Chase Freedom.

The Chase Amazon seems like a good fit. Should be easier now that you've established some history with Chase as well.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Young and hip why not go for the Marvel MastercardSmiley Wink 3% dining and it looks cool in your walletSmiley Wink

I've only heard bad things about Synchrony customer service... even Cap1 has sounded better lol

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I would't really recommend the Double Cash as it doesn't have a sign-up bonus. With low income, it just doesn't make sense as you would need to put 30000$ in spend for the cash back from the DC to exceed the sign up bonus and cashback of something like the Chase Freedom.

The Chase Amazon seems like a good fit. Should be easier now that you've established some history with Chase as well.

That's my only real reason against the DC too... It's more of a card to recommend PC'ing to. Smiley LOL

My only issue with Chase is that they may give me another toy limit. Though my Disco is more than 8x my limit now than when I got my FU...

Since TU is also almost 20 points higher, I'd rather a lender pull them.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kforce wrote:

Bank of the West (Cashback - MC)  3% on groceries, dining, gas, fast-food

and 1% everything else

Limited to the following states:

Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota,

Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, North Dakota, Oklahoma,

Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming

I got the card, January and like it a lot.

I also think it is my nicest looking card (IMO)

It is ideal for those that want multiple category bonus, but don't want

to have a card for each category to earn an extra 1%.

A few things to know, but not a deal breaker for me.

1) If you are married, and reside in one of the following
     community property states:
     AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, or WI
     You must select the "joint" application type and
     include your spouse's information even if you are
     applying for individual credit. The on-line application
     will "HP" both you and your spouses credit report.
 ** Note to get around this you can "Apply by Phone" **

2) No online statements, they send paper statement.
    However they have a online page that shows the same current info as other banks

3) You can not move your statement date, it is the last day of the month.

4) You need to push payments from your bank or CU with
     your bill-pay service, or send a check. They do not have
     the normal account linking to pull your funds.

That's pretty good... though I'm geographically out... Smiley Sad (PS: under 21 cannot apply by phone, though I'm not yet married either)

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.