Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for back to school spending

tag
santi16
Valued Member

Best card for back to school spending

Schools right around the corner for me and that means i have books and other junk to pay for haha.

What are some ideal cards for this sort of spending? Preferably some food cashback too because i get hungry Smiley Very Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Best card for back to school spending

Citi Forward for students.  5x on food, 5x on books and entertainment.

Message 2 of 8
wche
Regular Contributor

I would recommend Sallie Mae Rewards MC for your school and food spending:

5% gasoline category rewards are earned on the first $250 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle. 

5% groceries category rewards are earned on the first $250 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle. 

5% books category rewards are earned on the first $750 net purchases made per monthly billing cycle at eligible book stores. (Amazon, Barnes&Noble for textbooks).

Everything else, 1% cashback.

Otherwise, you can also apply for the Citi Forward Stuent Card.

5% points at Restaurants (including fast food), Movies, and Bookstores (Amazon counts)

Message 3 of 8
santi16
Valued Member

How difficult are these cards to get?
Message 4 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 5 of 8
santi16
Valued Member

Sure. My scores are low side right know due to carrying some balances but should shoot up as soon as some statements cut Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 665 WAL TU 701 EX ??? No baddies what so ever about a year of credit history

Current cards are:

Walmart $2000
Barclays NFL $2000
Chase Freedom $1000
AMEX BCE $1000
Sears $3000
Target $200 : [
Discover IT $800
eBay mastercard $2000
Kays $300 : [[

Will be disposing of some of these soon hopefully lol. I am a 20 year old student with a part time job if that matters Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
santi16
Valued Member

?
Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

How many recent inquiries do you have? What's the utilization at? How many of those accounts are less than a year old?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.