Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for groceries

tag
Stonemanmv
Valued Contributor

Best card for groceries

Well just hanging out thinking about my jan 14 app spree. I noticed my kids are eating me out of house and home spend about 1500 per month. What's the best card?

SIlver:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best card for groceries

Amex BCP is good for 6% back up to 6000$ a year.

Message 2 of 14
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Barclays rewards gives you 2X the spend.  I believe there isn't a cap.  I have to look at my card to verify.  Also I have heard about the BOA 123 card that many have talked about.  Oh and the BCP card too may be great for you depending on the cap if any.  BTW, that is truly eating you out of house and home! Smiley Tongue

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stonemanmv wrote:
Well just hanging out thinking about my jan 14 app spree. I noticed my kids are eating me out of house and home spend about 1500 per month. What's the best card?

Ideally....

First Blue Cash Preferred, this gives you 6% on the first $6K.   Biggest discount apart from some limited 10% offers for 90 days.

After the 6K, uncapped cards include:

Citi Thank You from a branch.   This has 5% for a year (TD and other banks also give you 5%, but for 6 months or 90 days, might be too much hassle.)

Penfed Sig Rewards: Uncapped 3% on groceries, but will require you to have another type of account with Penfed.

Several cards with monthly caps:

Barclays Sallie Mae:  5% on up to $250 per month (shared with gas)

Freedom/Discover in some quarters, 5% up to $1500 per quarter.

Message 4 of 14
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Blue Cash Everyday/Preferred would be good for you, but both have a limit of $6,000 in purchases per year.  I use my Bank of America CashRewards card for groceries and it has a similar cap ($1500/quarter). 

Maybe the Penfed Platinum Rewards card?  It was recently changed from 3% to 2% for supermarket but I don't believe they have any cap on annual spending.

Edit:  I think others beat me to this ! =P

Message 5 of 14
Stonemanmv
Valued Contributor

Thanks for all the info. I was thinking of Amex bcp but I think I'll hit 6000 pretty fast. Is anything uncapped ?

SIlver:

Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As in my response:  Citi Thank You is uncapped in spend, but only good for 12 months (which is fine).  Penfed is uncapped at 3% with a "qualifying" account

Message 7 of 14
Stonemanmv
Valued Contributor

Is penfed for military only?

SIlver:

Message 8 of 14
Brusilov
Established Contributor

No, you can join if you aren't affliated with the military directly.  If you look at their membership requirements you can also make donations to certain charities/organizations to become eligible.

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Stonemanmv wrote:
Is penfed for military only?

No, it's not like NFCU, any one can join Penfed by making a donation (something like $15-20) to one of two charities.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.