Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for home improvement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best card for home improvement?

I just bought a rental property that needs some renovations.  Is there a card out there that you guys would suggest?  Right now I'm thinking Discover It Miles with 3% in the first year and 12 months 0% interest.  It's a card I kind of want anyway, but I am curious if there is anything else out there that may be better. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Best card for home improvement?

Lowes is best.  5% off or extended zero percent financing.  Also large credit limits, 35K, based on profile.

Message 2 of 10
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Home depot has the 5% discount in my area also. However, I heard they were ending the discount, Might want to call and ask.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^^^1000 percent agree. Limits skyrocket with use. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowes I mean. Not HD. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

.....this all depends on how much money we are talking and if you need to pay over time or can PIF.  Lowes long term is great, many times we use lowes and then pay it off right way at the register.

BUT...if it were me, looks like discover likes you, get the it miles, and buy lowes gift cards from gift card granny.  You should save 15% at least, or more with a sale. Always combine with any lowes coupons, although they are becomming less frequent. Go to your post office and ask for a movers kit, ask for 4, should be a 10% off coupon inside. Use this for larger appliance purchases, pay with the gift card that you got for 10% off, and got 3% cash back on.  Oh, and pay for everything thru the ebates portal if you want even more....(2-4%)

So if you were going to spend $1000 at lowes, excluding tax.... Shop online, use 10% off coupon, thats $900, Your $900 gift card was $765, but you also get 18 back from ebates, and you get 22.95 back from discover.  So really, your $1000 item costs $724.05...

Just consider interest, rewards, coupons, etc, and do what is cheapest.  .

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowes card by far imo. 5% discount and sometimes it's extended on special priced items.

I just bought new flooring for my house and received 10% special pricing and 5% for using my card.
Message 7 of 10
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

I like Menards! It is easier to find things and they give a 2% rebate on every purchase and they are always doing the 11% rebate also...seems like every other month.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

and you can use your menards card at speedway gas stations lol

Message 9 of 10
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just bought a rental property that needs some renovations.  Is there a card out there that you guys would suggest?  Right now I'm thinking Discover It Miles with 3% in the first year and 12 months 0% interest.  It's a card I kind of want anyway, but I am curious if there is anything else out there that may be better. 

"Better" and "Best" are subjective, depending on what your needs are.  As some have pointed out, there are preferences for Home Depot and/or Lowes, depending on what you need to purchase.  "Renovations" is a wide open subject.  Are you talking about building materials?  Are you knocking out walls and expanding?  Or are you referring to new appliances and/or furniture? Or both?  Much depends on your definition of "renovations".  

Stores are going to have specials on various products, and with Spring just around the corner, that's likely to become more intense.  If, for example, you are looking to purchase appliances and you have a specific brand in mind, that could be a determinant of which card would better fit your needs.  Lowes carries some brands of appliances that Home Depot doesn't and vice versa.  Menards is an option as well.  I'm sure there's others.  Store cards can serve a purpose. Or not.  Depends on what you want to accomplish, beyond your renovations. 

When I was doing home renovations, I got a Lumber Liquidators card, because at that time, it offered the best deal on the flooring that I wanted, and that wasn't as readily available from other home improvement stores.  Once the project was completed and paid off, I simply closed the card, since I had no further need for it.    That said, if the Discover card you mentioned fits your needs beyond your renovation, and as you said, you kind of want it anyway, then you've probably answered your own question! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.