Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for hotel and travel points or perks

tag
codehavoc
Regular Contributor

Best card for hotel and travel points or perks

I was wondering if there was One card where I can use points for hotels and flights.

Starting Score: Equifax 582 Experian 610 Transunion 620
Current Score: Equifax 693 Experian 751 Transunion 739
Goal Score: Equifax 730 Experian 750 Transunion 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Best card for hotel and travel points or perks

@codehavoc wrote:
I was wondering if there was One card where I can use points for hotels and flights.

SPG , UR, and MR based cards could be used for hotels and flights. Another option is using something like Arrival+, which you can use for statement credit for hotel or flights. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@mongstradamus wrote:

@codehavoc wrote:

SPG , UR, and MR based cards could be used for hotels and flights. Another option is using something like Arrival+, which you can use for statement credit for hotel or flights. 

There are a ton of cards for different people, depending on travel frequency, how much you plan on spending on the card each year, etc. If you answer those two, it'll be a good start and will help get you more detailed advice.

Message 3 of 10
codehavoc
Regular Contributor

I travel about 2 times a month and stay in a room each time

Message 4 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

With limited information its hard to make recommendations. This is an old post but answering some of these questions may help make a recommendation. You say you travel two times a month. How long do you travel for? Are you using the same properties over and over again? Same chain? Are you flying? If so which airline? Is it domestic or international travel. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Information-to-think-about-when-deciding-which-cards-to...

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 10
codehavoc
Regular Contributor

Sorry about the limited info. But I just was looking for a card that I can use to get my hotels and flights. And to accumulate points towards any airline or any hotel. Im in the military and I travel fly home every 2 weeks from NC TO NY and when I'm in NC I'm in a hotel room. The military pay my hotel room but I would rather pay with my CC and have them reimburse me for my flight and hotel. Then I can get the points and rewards

Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@codehavoc wrote:
Sorry about the limited info. But I just was looking for a card that I can use to get my hotels and flights. And to accumulate points towards any airline or any hotel. Im in the military and I travel fly home every 2 weeks from NC TO NY and when I'm in NC I'm in a hotel room. The military pay my hotel room but I would rather pay with my CC and have them reimburse me for my flight and hotel. Then I can get the points and rewards

If you need total flexibility as to carrier/hotel and dates (so reward travel would be too inflexible), look at something like the Barclays Arrival Plus (2.2% when redeemed for travel) or Fidelity Amex (2% cash back).  The arrival has a large bonus and is free the first year, but then there is an annual fee.  After the first year, Fidelity Amex is better if you spend less than ~ $40K per year.

But there are other alternatives, depending on can you use airlines in one alliance, can you use reward travel or are your travel dates inflexible etc.

Message 7 of 10
Juss11
Frequent Contributor

Chase Marriott has like 70k bonus points for spending 2k right now. I think you can transfer points to unitied with them.

Message 8 of 10
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

You don't stay at the same hotel every time? I'm somewhat surprised your division doesn't have a preferred airline/local hotel chain. Do you have a preferred one? If you can choose whatever you want, are there any you enjoy more? Do you have an idea of approximately how much you'll be spending (reimbursed) each month?
QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 9 of 10
red259
Super Contributor

@codehavoc wrote:

How many nights are you staying per year? Since you seem to do all your hotel stays in NC, which hotel property do you like best? What airline are you flying? Do you have complete control over which brand you select or does the military tell you that you must use certain properties/airlines? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.