Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for hotels

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Best card for hotels

My wife and I are looking to vacation next year during July and I am looking for the best Credit Card rewards program to use.  We usually go to Hilton Head SC every year and stay with my mother for a week, but next year we would like to go to Myrtle Beach and spend 3 to 4 nights there before going on to HHI for the rest of the week to see family. 

I already have Freedom so my first thought was to earn UR points on the Freedom between now and this winter when I have a class that I will need to pay for out of pocket.  I figure this winter I could acquire a CSP and use it to pay for the class to cover most of the spending requirement for the signup bonus.  Then transfer all my points from Freedom to CSP and use those points to book my room at Myrtle beach.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Are there other cards that may be a better option?

I am really unsure how the UR points actually work, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: Best card for hotels

@wacdenney wrote:

My wife and I are looking to vacation next year during July and I am looking for the best Credit Card rewards program to use.  We usually go to Hilton Head SC every year and stay with my mother for a week, but next year we would like to go to Myrtle Beach and spend 3 to 4 nights there before going on to HHI for the rest of the week to see family. 

I already have Freedom so my first thought was to earn UR points on the Freedom between now and this winter when I have a class that I will need to pay for out of pocket.  I figure this winter I could acquire a CSP and use it to pay for the class to cover most of the spending requirement for the signup bonus.  Then transfer all my points from Freedom to CSP and use those points to book my room at Myrtle beach.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?  Are there other cards that may be a better option?

I am really unsure how the UR points actually work, so any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Sounds like a great plan.  I don't know of what hotels are over there, but Hyatt is usually your best option for transferring your URs to for the best redemption rate - since their Gold Passport points are usually worth around $0.018-$0.02 per GP.  Marriott points are usually only worth around $0.01 per point, and since you transfer UR points in a 1:1 ratio to resepective partners you usually get a pretty crappy deal with Marriott.

Message 2 of 27
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

You can transfer ur freedom points to CSP. Better option would be to transfer to Hyatt for better value 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 27
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

This next question is completely irrelevant to this thread but... How do i add the pictures of CCs like you have in your sig? Thank you

Message 4 of 27
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

Sounds like a great plan.  I don't know of what hotels are over there, but Hyatt is usually your best option for transferring your URs to for the best redemption rate - since their Gold Passport points are usually worth around $0.018-$0.02 per GP.  Marriott points are usually only worth around $0.01 per point, and since you transfer UR points in a 1:1 ratio to resepective partners you usually get a pretty crappy deal with Marriott.

Yikes!  A quick search shows no Hyatt hotels within 50 miles of Myrtle Beach.  I would like to be right on the beach.  Is there a list somewhere of the hotel options and transfer rates?

Message 5 of 27
MT936
Established Contributor

Best "looking" card for hotels is definitely the black chase marriot premier because its metal..and black!! amazing Smiley Tongue but from what I have read it does have a couple great perks for marriot hotels

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 6 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:

This next question is completely irrelevant to this thread but... How do i add the pictures of CCs like you have in your sig? Thank you

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/td...

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 27
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Jaylima91 wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/SmorgasBoard/THIS-IS-HOW-YOU-ADD-CREDIT-CARD-PICS-TO-YOUR-PROFILE/td...

Message 8 of 27
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

Best "looking" card for hotels is definitely the black chase marriot premier because its metal..and black!! amazing Smiley Tongue but from what I have read it does have a couple great perks for marriot hotels

Looks like Marriot has a resort right on the beach.  How does this card work?  Is it a better option than the CSP? 

Message 9 of 27
MT936
Established Contributor

you get a free nights stay in a category 1-4 marriots hotel and 40,000 marriot points for signup. Every year on your account opening anniversery, you get a free night stay in a category 1-5 hotel and every year you get points towards elite status. There are a lot more benefits to the card you can find out on the website. The CSP is tied to the chase ultimate rewards program which is a very good cash back program. I don't believe the chase marriots is tied to this so the CSP would be better if you wanted cash back. The marriots premier rewards would be better if you stay at hotels often

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.