Did you mean: 

Best card for non bonus categories?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best card for non bonus categories?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've never thought of doing this. Brilliant! Now, when I'm with friends and family, I will tell them to charge to my card and just give me the money haha 😂

Haha that's how I rack up a lot of pts & cashback 😂😂

DittoSmiley Happy

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both discover and freedom. Whenever there is a bonus category going on I just use either of those cards to get more points (unless it's hotel stay) on non category spending.
Message 22 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have both discover and freedom. Whenever there is a bonus category going on I just use either of those cards to get more points (unless it's hotel stay) on non category spending.

But then it's not "not category" spending!

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess so but I hate spreading everything through tons of different cards. I started weaning myself off of micro managing every single reward and it's worked. I really did good with discover this year.
Message 24 of 28
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think micro managing a bunch of cards and rewards is fine if that's what people like doing but I agree the benefit vs effort hasn't been totally useful for me. I've been slowly giving up the "a card for this, a card for that" mentality and focusing my spending more on a few cards. Seem to be providing me with bigger chunks of rewards instead of 5 cents on 20 cards.
Message 25 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
I think micro managing a bunch of cards and rewards is fine if that's what people like doing but I agree the benefit vs effort hasn't been totally useful for me. I've been slowly giving up the "a card for this, a card for that" mentality and focusing my spending more on a few cards. Seem to be providing me with bigger chunks of rewards instead of 5 cents on 20 cards.

Also, for those that can redeem the points "well", cards like the EDP, and the FU (with a transfer card) make it easier: if you earn a minimum of 1.5 MR/UR per $ and you vale each highly enough, you are losing very little compared to micromanaging.  (And the EDP also takes care of gas and groceries)

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't get me wrong..I still use certain cards for certain things but if I don't it's really not a big deal. Only thing that use that as a rule for anymore it's hotel cards. It's a waste not to them for hotel stays.
Message 27 of 28
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Same, except for no hotel cards (need to update sig).

Signature needs updating
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.