Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for non bonus categories?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best card for non bonus categories?

I have relatives that like to buy stuff in high end stores & they do not carry credit cards so I usually swipe my card & they pay me back.... but which card would be best to use in this situation, I have the citi double cash but it only gave me a limit of 6.4k (I've only done soft pull increases) and it doesn't cover all the costs, what other cards are good for non bonus categories?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Best card for non bonus categories?

2% is the most you will get on broadly available cards, with the exception of Discover Miles, which pays out 3% on everything but only for the first year. Cards like JCB give  3% but they are only available in a few states.

Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not worth apping for a new card for this. Start with DC and then fall back on another. What else you got there...
Message 3 of 28
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

I personally think Discover Miles would be a good choice. 3% everything. I have a lot of uncategorized speending as well. It could be a lot even if it's just for 1st year.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have relatives that like to buy stuff in high end stores & they do not carry credit cards so I usually swipe my card & they pay me back.... but which card would be best to use in this situation, I have the citi double cash but it only gave me a limit of 6.4k (I've only done soft pull increases) and it doesn't cover all the costs, what other cards are good for non bonus categories?

Thanks.

what stores are we talking?  because there are a few options to maximize rewards.  you could use the double cash to buy gift cards from giftcardgranny, then if you knew the item they wanted, buy it through a shopping portal like ebates and use coupon codes paired with the gift card.  It would be up to you to tell them what the real total was or maybe just split some of your extra cash back.

as far as covering the costs, what does that mean? you mean they are spending too close to your limit?  you could possibly phone in and ask for a temp increase for a certain item.

You may be better off using the HP for a better CLI with citi ( through their EO ) but it comes down to your scores, aaoa, etc. 

Also there is the riskier option, if you dont need any loans soon, use this extra spend to get bonuses on some cards.  Just be mindful of the risks.  

No chance in getting them approved for cards they can use?  Just dont get in any situations where you either make them an AU, they go crazy with the card and youre stuck paying, or you give them your card and bad things happen! 

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heh, this is what I usually do when I eat out with with friends. 5% cash back for dining is pretty good.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

jfriend, giftcardgranny advocate. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

jfriend, giftcardgranny advocate. Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I am too!   Often much better rewards than available with a CC

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I am too!   Often much better rewards than available with a CC

Haha, I agree!!! I'm just having fun, since I always see a post with jfriend and giftcardnanny Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks. I've never heard of giftcardgranny. Looks like people can  save some money.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.