Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for a score around 500?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best cards for a score around 500?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just started working on my credit and a lot of things have fallen off, been removed for incorrect reporting and/or will be soon. Verizon ($2783) is the highest debt I have outside of student loans at ($23000). The student loans are up up to date and reporting current. capital one through portfolio recovery associates ($946) falls off May April 2016. Virtuoso sourcing group ($259) falls off May 2017. Coast pro ($1825) falls off December 2017. Credit management ($358) falls off June 2017. fox collection ($207) new account from a recent move out of state. I am looking for a unsecured credit card or department store card. I plan to buy my fico score soon because any good accounts I had fell off and dropped my score according to credit karma. Any suggestions?  Also any suggestions on the best places to get scores or is myfico the best place? 

P.S. credit one one would not approve me and I did get get approved for a fingerhut account a few months ago. Are there any other cars that do preapproval? How do you get those offers if so? 

Thanks! 

@Sign up with Credit Karma or Credit Sesame, they're free and you can get a decent start @ rebuilding & monitering. Keep the FHut acct current & stick with that for awhile. I don't know if any store card will approve you right now. Go the secured card route, personally I think you should wait awhile before getting any cards. It will take work & commitment to repair your credit but it's def. do able; just read the posts in this forum.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sign up for Credit Check Total and then call them to say your paying less somewhere else. They will offer you it at a discounted price of around $12-$14 per month. It will give you all 3 Fico 8 scores and reports 3 times a month. Then go and open a OpenSky credit card(it's secured but no credit check). Don't get any other cards until you pre-qual for a Cap One card on their site.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't open any predatory accounts like First Premier or Credit One.

Open Sky & SDFCU secured. Keep those open for 6 months. Check your scores. By then, a couple of your bad accounts will be falling off. Then, you can check prequalifier pages.
Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE!! I actually checked my fico scores and this is what they actually are experian 551, transunion 552, equifax 547. Credit karma had me below 506 and 512 for two of them. Does that change anything that has been recommended so far?
Message 14 of 18
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
UPDATE!! I actually checked myfico scores and this is what they actually areexperian 551,transunion 552,equifax 547. Credit karma had me below 506 and 512 for two of them. Does that change anything that has been recommended so far?

Hey you're getting closer!   I would still recommend secure cards and loan.

A couple secured cards reporting along with a share secured loan may get you to the 600 mark in a few months.  SDFCU will open a loan against your deposit and you can use the $$ to open a secured card with them (2 for 1).  Keep disputing and PFD while the green marks start adding up on your reports and in no time at all things will start dropping off and you will have some positive payment history for approvals.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
UPDATE!! I actually checked my fico scores and this is what they actually are experian 551, transunion 552, equifax 547. Credit karma had me below 506 and 512 for two of them. Does that change anything that has been recommended so far?

CK only gives you TU and EQ scores. I recommend staying put with maybe 1 secured card for now. If you need credit because you can't afford anything without it you'll just dig yourself in deeper.

Message 16 of 18
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just started working on my credit and a lot of things have fallen off, been removed for incorrect reporting and/or will be soon. Verizon ($2783) is the highest debt I have outside of student loans at ($23000). The student loans are up up to date and reporting current. capital one through portfolio recovery associates ($946) falls off May April 2016. Virtuoso sourcing group ($259) falls off May 2017. Coast pro ($1825) falls off December 2017. Credit management ($358) falls off June 2017. fox collection ($207) new account from a recent move out of state. I am looking for a unsecured credit card or department store card. I plan to buy my fico score soon because any good accounts I had fell off and dropped my score according to credit karma. Any suggestions?  Also any suggestions on the best places to get scores or is myfico the best place? 

P.S. credit one one would not approve me and I did get get approved for a fingerhut account a few months ago. Are there any other cars that do preapproval? How do you get those offers if so? 

Thanks! 

SDFCU does a secured card with a $250 deposit.  They don't do a HP, but they do check  Chexsystems to make sure you don't have any previous banking issues. 

+1

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 17 of 18
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

Milestone gold mastercard has a prequal to see if you qualify, the limit will be like $300 but its a start, 59 annual fee

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.